Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know what any of you guys have done with your speakers, especially those little stock 3 1/2" speakers in the middle.

Do any of you guys know if all the MA70 supras came with the stock six speaker system?

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
The only ways I know of to fit a speaker into a hole smaller than itself is to either grind out the hole (see rayray's DIY) or buy an adaptor bracket. Try http://www.sounddomain.com, they've got several adaptors for speakers, but I can't remember if they go from large to small or not.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
The MA70's after '89 had the option of the 6spkr system, and in 1992 had the option of the "System 10" (10 speakers, Infinity setup) however, it's incredibly rare.

As for fitting speakers in your MA70, it depends on the year it was. The pre-1989's came with smaller speakers up front and in the rear. post-1989's had 6.5"'s in the doors, however they weren't enclosed so some argue that sound quality was much poorer. You can swap the pods from a later model into a pre-1989 with minimal effort.

As for the speakers in the rear deck, they're difficult to get at and while I've seen 6x9's stuffed into the rear, it was very tight, and it was quite a hack-job.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
A better head unit will not make up for a lack of good speakers.

That's like saying a new Shirt will make up for the pants that have 4" holes in them. It's all important, and skimping on any part will have it's results.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Try it on an MKII.... AHHH.... sucks. I had to do some crazy shit to get some 5x7's to fit back there. Good luck.... if I could do it again... I'd just put boxes in the back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. guys. I went ahead and just put in a new head unit, four infinity kappa 4" speakers, with a infinity amp and a sub. It sounds really really good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts