Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2014 Camry 4 cylinder which I know that it's not fast but I still want to add a little bit more power. I was just wondering if I can buy a chip or programmer or tuner and tune my car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Anybody selling a tuning device will have insulated themselves from as much accountability as possible, because selling non-certified tuning parts is illegal and would subject the seller to civil claims by those who's cars then didn't pass their state's inspections.

So, these same hypothetical vendors would not be accountable for what effect that their "tuner" or other part had on your car's engine, transmission or emissions control components.

Without accountability, what do you have? Maybe someone in China will sell you a tuner on Ali Express, good luck with that.

"Tuning" the intake and/or exhaust may empty your wallet but will make far more noise than horsepower and may for instance damage your airflow sensor.
Re-usable air filters are known to pass many times as much fine dirt through to your engine than normal filter elements.
Tuned-length tube headers aren't an option, and a cat-back exhaust can only do next to nothing for engine performance.

Some of Honda's 4-cylinder engines seem more designed for performance so actually have some after-market support (and are actually used for racing). Toyota 2.5l not so much.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,704 Posts
I'd save whatever money you would spend on "tuning" your current Camry and start putting money aside so that you can upgrade to the more powerful engine when you ultimately replace your Camry.

Your Camry is good for about 180hp and 170 of torque. Even if you "tune it" and get another 20-30hp out of it, it's still going to be slow compared to the V6 and turbocharged-4 power plants of most competitors. Toyota 4 bangers aren't known for their power, they are known for their reliability and longevity. A 2014-17 Accord will still blow your Camry away in a race.

Since you are no longer under the factory powertrain warranty (and assuming you don't have an extended warranty), you can do whatever you want to the engine. That said, that doesn't mean that you should.

Again- it likely makes much more sense to start saving money so that you can buy a car that has the engine specs and horsepower you want next time rather than wasting your money adding stuff to your current car.

You could also trade in your current Camry and buy a 2014 with the V6, which has a lot more power than your current car. Just for example- if your current Camry is an SE with 60,000 miles, it's worth about $8500-10000 depending on if you trade it in or sell it private party. A 2014 Camry SE with the V6 with 60,000 miles has a KBB value of between $11500 and $14400. Given the cruddy market right now due to Covid-19 and the fact that the demand for midsize sedans are down while the demand for SUVs is up- you could probably pay towards the lower end of that value.

If that's a stretch financially, you could look for a 2012 or 2013 Camry V6 with slightly higher mileage and the price difference between your car and a V6 might be more attractive than trying to tune your current car.

With all of that said, if your current car works and is in good shape, I'd just leave it alone. Start socking money away so that you can get the upgraded engine when you upgrade in the distant future. Unless you drag race on a regular basis (in a Camry???), the 180hp engine is likely more than enough for normal use. I paid extra to buy the upgraded 2.0t engine in my current Accord. Other than the first few weeks of really enjoying the brisk acceleration, now I drive it about the same as my old Accord, which had the 4-banger, 185hp engine.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,544 Posts
Tuning a camry is almost as pointless as a rabbit wearing a pancake on its head.

Tuning your car by just adding a chip or through a programmer is not simple and quite pointless if you're keeping your internals stock with not modifications to it whatsoever.

Save your money and potential future issues and save up for an actual performance car.

·
Registered
2016 camry se/240sx
32 Posts
only thing you can really do to a 4cyl is intake and exhaust, not sure if anybody makes a header for it, but the guy talking about the honda accord turbo, the turbo 4cyl is fast it would dust a 4cyl camry lol probably keep up with the v6 honestly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that Camry is not fast like I already dropped it and added a after market filter and modded exhaust and I'm planning to add headers I just want it to sound nice and look good after headers I just want to have it tuned for the fuel trim to be balanced after tune I'm done with the car

·
Registered
2016 camry se/240sx
32 Posts
stock ecu should be able to compensate for just bolt ons, nobody tunes these motors really, maybe somebody does for scion tc,s with the same motor but i doubt it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't know that I know some cars don't do that so I thought mine wouldn't eithers thanks for the info.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm wondering how you're going to even do headers when the cat and 02 sensor is built into the factory manifold?
Keep in mind that the feedback from the 02 sensor is what allows the computer to adjust fuel trim on it's own. This is not a 1992 Honda with PGM mapping!
As for tuned-length headers, there might not even be room for it without sort of gutting the under-hood area.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know I am in the minority here, but yes..... you can tune a Camry...... Base model Camrys should come stock built like this:

·
Registered
318 Posts
If someone has that kind of resources (money), then why bother with a Camry?

Not that rich people don't drive Camrys! Just that they leave 'em stock.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,544 Posts

Funny that you mention that because my uncle bought a M-Benz S550 couple years. It was too high tech for him to drive so he bought a 2019 Camry SE.
Drives the Camry daily, and the S550 for business.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Well, because it is a Camry and not an 8 series beamer, or an AMG Benz, or some exotic sports car.... or a $90,000 Tesla with god mode turned on...... The Camry is a working persons car..... it just needs a SS or GT upgrade.....lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts