Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

First off looks like a great forum and have enjoyed what I have read so far. Much of the posts seem to center around the initial launch period and it seems things have been changing and demand may be higher than expected, and that is having some effects.

We drove the 4cyl version of this car today and really liked it. We love wagons, and this a nice crossover that suits our tastes. We will be getting a FWD version, too bad the options packages are gutted for FWD. These marketing guys have their heads up the wazoos when it comes to that. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of questions.

1. 4 vs 6 cyl FWD. What do people think? I have read the 4 is a new beast, is the 6 also? Is there a risk to buying a new model car AND new model engine? The 6 has been around a while right? What is the consensus on the 6? It seems the difference is about 1 or 2 mpg, is that correct?

2. Pricing seems to be an issue. No one is willing to move an inch from MSRP, and financing is awful at 5.9 when the rest of the lineup is at 0.9.

3. Availability seems low, or so we are being told. If we don't take what is on the lot, at MSRP, at 5.9%, we are looking at 3 months+ to get one. Is this reality or pressure tactics?

Thanks

·
The Toyota Guru
2013 BMW 328i xDrive
332 Posts
1.The V6 has been around since 2005 when the Toyota Avalon got redesigned. And as you can tell, there aren't really reliability problems with the V6.

As for the I4, its hard to tell as its a fairly new engine.

2. You in the Lower Mainland? Thats where they never move MSRP -_-"

3. There are plenty in our area as far as i can tell. I took the skytrain and saw a whole lot of Toyotas in the storage lots for one of the dealerships, at least 5 of them were Venzas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Mark,

Sent you a PM already but here are my observations:

Point 1. I haven't really paid too much attention to the gas mileage. My officemate who bought the same package as mine (v6 AWD) noticed that his gas mileage is improving since he started monitoring his mileage. The 4 cyl will surely move the vehicle in a decent fashion but if and when you want the extra ooomph, the V6 will satisfy you. Your alternative is the V6 FWD which is less $$ than the V6 AWD and marginally better on the gas.

Point 2. I've mentioned this to some and will repeat this: if a salesperson tells you that you can't get the Venza for less than MSRP, get out of the dealership as soon as you can. Call William Poggemiller at Scarborough Toyota.

Point 3. There may be some truth to the scarcity of the Venza at the moment. Depending on the package that you want, you may have to wait. One forum member who I referred to William is still waiting for his Touring Package Venza, last I heard was it's coming in May. There is usually some left in the lot. If you're flexible with your requirements, you may get yours sooner.

Good luck. Call William now if you haven't still.

Bobby

Hi,

First off looks like a great forum and have enjoyed what I have read so far. Much of the posts seem to center around the initial launch period and it seems things have been changing and demand may be higher than expected, and that is having some effects.

We drove the 4cyl version of this car today and really liked it. We love wagons, and this a nice crossover that suits our tastes. We will be getting a FWD version, too bad the options packages are gutted for FWD. These marketing guys have their heads up the wazoos when it comes to that. :rolleyes:

1. 4 vs 6 cyl FWD. What do people think? I have read the 4 is a new beast, is the 6 also? Is there a risk to buying a new model car AND new model engine? The 6 has been around a while right? What is the consensus on the 6? It seems the difference is about 1 or 2 mpg, is that correct?

2. Pricing seems to be an issue. No one is willing to move an inch from MSRP, and financing is awful at 5.9 when the rest of the lineup is at 0.9.

3. Availability seems low, or so we are being told. If we don't take what is on the lot, at MSRP, at 5.9%, we are looking at 3 months+ to get one. Is this reality or pressure tactics?

Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello and welcome! Just to add what Mr_D700 on points 2 & 3...

It was me he referred and William at Scarborough Toyota did not disappoint! They will move nicely off the MSRP. I was dealing with the same BS until I went there.

On point 3, you can expect a significant wait depending on the model you settle on. I purchased the Nav model on Feb. 21 and the scheduled build date is April 30th. Hopefully have it by early May.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Cheers!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ordered our FWD V6 in mid-March; supposedly will be built first week of April and delivered in May!

Went to a local dealership in GTA/Markham...guess I should've called William to see what they could do with pricing! Got a bit off MSRP, nothing to brag about :sosad:

·
Registered
586 Posts

Thanks
I'll try with #3 first. Venzas are scarce, depending on the model. Our dealership has 18 v6 awd's on order. Our last allocation was for 3 cars...ie the last people on the list will be waiting longer than 4 months......

As for #2......the above answers that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi,

Ok well we called the recommended dealer, but he wouldn't deal over the phone and we were not about to drive 2+ hours to find out we couldn't do any better.

We did find another dealer who would deal on the phone, and have gone with them. Locally no one would deal at all.

Funny any other Toyota product and they all would be dealing.

We went with a V6 FWD with premium pkg in Sunset Bronze Mica.

We are just waiting now to hear when we will be getting it. hopefully soon, fingers crossed.

Thanks for everyone's help and opinions. :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Found a hungry dealer who sold for $300 under invoice.

Originally bought a 4-cyl for the mileage, but ended up taking home a 6 because of availability. We didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks for the 4-cyl optioned the way we wanted to come in.

The 4 drives fine, the 6 is a hot rod. The 4 rides smoother with the 19-inch wheels than the lower profile 20s on the 6. Tough call, but I think you will be happy with either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sadly our dealers are not so hungry, in my city there are none for sale at 3 dealers, they are all out of stock, but for one demo. One dealership could not schedule me a test drive for 8+ weeks as the next 9 coming in are sold and cannot be driven except by their new owners.

We saved $2k in the end, so are happy, but did not come close to beating invoice. ;)

It seems the most wiggle on these is to be had in the US currently, but for us with our falling dollar there is not much of an incentive to buy US cars anymore.

:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sadly our dealers are not so hungry, in my city there are none for sale at 3 dealers, they are all out of stock, but for one demo. One dealership could not schedule me a test drive for 8+ weeks as the next 9 coming in are sold and cannot be driven except by their new owners.

We saved $2k in the end, so are happy, but did not come close to beating invoice. ;)

It seems the most wiggle on these is to be had in the US currently, but for us with our falling dollar there is not much of an incentive to buy US cars anymore.

:D
Congrats Starkmark on your Venza selection and welcome to the waiting room. All I see round here are mostly Canadians waiting for their higher optioned Venzas.

The only Venzas I see in the Vancouver area dealers right now have cloth seats and basic optioned cars, and I4s. V6/AWDs and Navs seem to be in short supply and not getting much movement in price reductions right now. I suspect that will change if and when the supply is more than the demand lol

It seems that the Canadian car is cheaper than the US car and may be a reason for holding up the supply to the Canadian market, similar to the way oil is marketed. Cut the supply and let the market drive the pricing. Watch out for price adjustment for the 2010 model.

In two months time I expect to one of those who are writing '"it's a good ride" and "I love my Venza" - the wait will be worth it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
best Toyota dealer in GTA

Hi there ....

I'm about to get a deal for the Venza V6 AWD w/ Touring and am prepared to enjoy the fun of waiting for 3+ months.

In terms of getting a Venza, which dealer within the GTA area do you think is the best? I'm leaning towards DVNT but have seen quite a few -ve messages on this and another forum. However, I do think they are indeed the #1 Canadian Toyota dealer (across nation) in terms of sales volume and therefore they should (theoretically) get the largest quota of any car, including Venza, and therefore the waiting time should be the least. If I go after another dealer, I might be able to get a slightly better deal (not much room for negotiation due to high demand anyway I assume) but I either have to wait longer, or if I push to shorten the wait time, that other dealer might try to trade it with DVNT which they need to pay for a premium and my room of negotiation will become even smaller.

I know "best" is a subjective word but if you do have the best dealer for a Venza in your mind, please share and please let me know why you think that is the best one.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi there ....

I'm about to get a deal for the Venza V6 AWD w/ Touring and am prepared to enjoy the fun of waiting for 3+ months.

In terms of getting a Venza, which dealer within the GTA area do you think is the best? I'm leaning towards DVNT but have seen quite a few -ve messages on this and another forum. However, I do think they are indeed the #1 Canadian Toyota dealer (across nation) in terms of sales volume and therefore they should (theoretically) get the largest quota of any car, including Venza, and therefore the waiting time should be the least. If I go after another dealer, I might be able to get a slightly better deal (not much room for negotiation due to high demand anyway I assume) but I either have to wait longer, or if I push to shorten the wait time, that other dealer might try to trade it with DVNT which they need to pay for a premium and my room of negotiation will become even smaller.

I know "best" is a subjective word but if you do have the best dealer for a Venza in your mind, please share and please let me know why you think that is the best one.

Thanks!!
Hello and welcome VEN2A!

You may have read in this thread and a couple others that a few of us here in the GTA got a very good deal from William Poggemiller at Scarborough Toyota. I think it would be worth your while to call him and see what he can do.

I was referred to him by another member here. Prior to that all I kept hearing was "it's in demand", "can't move off the MSRP", "if you don't buy it the guy behind you will"... blah blah blah.. It was great to finally talk to someone who was ready to bargain.

If you want more info, just send me a PM.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Frank

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi there ....

Thanks!!
We ordered ours through DVT (didnt come to this forum earlier)...so hard to say if our discount would be the same elsewhere

Our sales rep (Dave) started off with the same MSRP & demand talk...but once numbers started flying, we got a deal on a FWD V6 premium package at a price we're comfortable with.

For us, DVT is closeby for servicing & they anticipate deliveries of 25(?) venzas per month; and the sales guy was pretty easy to deal with (lemme know if you want more info; coz DVT offers a referral rebate program)

I think DVT gets a bad rep partly because of its volume -- don't even bother going during the weekend without an appointment.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi there ....
. However, I do think they are indeed the #1 Canadian Toyota dealer (across nation) in terms of sales volume and therefore they should (theoretically) get the largest quota of any car, including Venza, and therefore the waiting time should be the least.
Thanks!!

Faulty logic. Yes they sell the most and get the most supply. But in this case supply is below demand. Toyota does NOT apportion more supply to the dealers with more demand for a specific product.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some more questions before buying the Venza

In case my following questions are vehicle/model specific, I'm going after the Venza V6 AWD

Tire Pressure Monitor
1. Heard that the dealer charges $100 for each tire pressure monitor re-programming service if your winter tires are mounted on separate rims. That means you need to pay $200 a year for both summer and winter tires/rims unless you choose not to use this feature. Is this reprogramming fee covered in any ECP plan? Does anyone know how this can be done ourselves?

ECP
2. I see a laundry list of "what's covered" by ECP. Which ones of these are the added benefit to standard warranty?

3. What's not covered? I know the car owner's manual has a list of "owner's maintenance responsibility". Can someone post this list? At least those important/pricey items? Is there any catch? And I'd like to avoid surprises.

4. Tire repair/replacement is on the list of covered items. Does it include replacement with new tires due to normal wear and tear? How is free repair/replacement going to be justified?

5. I'm not sure if I read it right...I'm planning to buy ECP 48mth/120k within 31 days of purchase at roughly $1100. Within the 1st three years, I can extend it to 84mth/200k by just about $300. What's the diff of doing it this way vs. buying 84mth/200k upfront at about $3000? If there is no reason, who would spend doubled upfront?

Smart Key
6. With smart key in my briefcase, I don't need to bother finding it to unlock/lock my door nor starting my car (if it's equipped w/ push start button), right? How does it work together w/ an alarm system? If I have to look for the fob to enable/disable the alarm, doesn't it defeat the convenience of smart key? By the way, I assume there is no factory pre-installed alarm with Venza, correct? If so, does anyone has any recommendation on an aftermarket system that will work seamlessly with the Smart Key?

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you have two separate rims with two separate sets of tire pressure sensors you'll need the "maintenance device" to reprogram the ECM (Electronic Control Module) for the sensor's IDs when you change rims. You can calibrate the sensors with the pushbutton in the glove compartment but if you want to replace a sensor(s) which is what you are doing when you are changing your tire sets the procedure is more involved.

My '07 Camry XLE came with a alarm my '09 Venza did not. If you want to use the "panic button" feature of the key fob you (obviously) need access to the physical fob. The security package comes with a backup camera and anti-theft device but I don't know what it actually does to prevent theft. Maybe the blinking red LED on the dash? ;)

FWIW if you get the automatic rear hatch open/close you need access to the fob to open the rear hatch automatically from outside of the vehicle. Once open there is a button on the lower edge of the hatch to close it automatically but not the reverse. So there are several features that require physical access to the fob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello and welcome VEN2A!

You may have read in this thread and a couple others that a few of us here in the GTA got a very good deal from William Poggemiller at Scarborough Toyota. I think it would be worth your while to call him and see what he can do.

I was referred to him by another member here. Prior to that all I kept hearing was "it's in demand", "can't move off the MSRP", "if you don't buy it the guy behind you will"... blah blah blah.. It was great to finally talk to someone who was ready to bargain.

If you want more info, just send me a PM.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Frank

Hi there,

How much is this dealership giving off MSRP. I am looking for a 4 cyl. FWD. Appreciate if you could share.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In case my following questions are vehicle/model specific, I'm going after the Venza V6 AWD

Smart Key
6. With smart key in my briefcase, I don't need to bother finding it to unlock/lock my door nor starting my car (if it's equipped w/ push start button), right? How does it work together w/ an alarm system? If I have to look for the fob to enable/disable the alarm, doesn't it defeat the convenience of smart key? By the way, I assume there is no factory pre-installed alarm with Venza, correct? If so, does anyone has any recommendation on an aftermarket system that will work seamlessly with the Smart Key?
Smart Key includes the alarm, so the fob never leaves your pocket.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You still need to find the fob to turn off the alarm
when it sounds.

This happened to me yesterday:

Wife and I both have fobs.
We pulled into gas station to purchase fuel.
Wife remained in the passenger seat.
All 4 doors were unlocked as a result of putting the
car into "park".
I pumped the gas and decided I needed to get something
from the glove compartment to I walked around to the
passenger side and motioned to my wife to open the door.
When she popped open the door the alarm began to sound
(horn honked on and off). I had to use the fob to turn it off.
I still don't know why the alarm armed with all the doors unlocked
and my wife still in the car with a fob in her purse on the floor.
If someone can explain the logic of why the alarm would arm
in this situation I'd appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts