Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Double Cab
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've pretty much read every post about 5100's and OME lifts now Including the 100 page 5100 thread. I am still finding it hard to decide what is the best performer. The cost is quite similar, so that's a non issue. Please don't flame me too badly for asking for your help in a new thread. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this purchase.

I could go with 4X Bilstein 5100's and rear tsb AAL's.

Or I go with the OME885 kit which includes the rear tsb AAL's and 1" spacer lift. I'd also go ahead and put the front Bilstein 5100's on at stock setting to complete the front end.

As I said. I've searched, and read and searched and read for about 2 weeks. I want the best performer for on road and light-medium off road duty. I only want to do this install once. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

My truck is an 08 Double Cab Short Box with Leer Canopy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
if $$ is not an issue then go with the OME coils on the 5100's and get both haha. If you have to pick one or the other then someone that has experience with them will have to chime in. Personally I just ordered the 5100's yesterday.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
The 885 option will preform better off road since your replacing the strut as well as the shock. I would tell you to pair it with the OME shock for best preformance + the tsb and the AAL will be better with the canopy than just the TSB.

·
Registered
'08 Double Cab
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The 885 option will preform better off road since your replacing the strut as well as the shock. I would tell you to pair it with the OME shock for best preformance + the tsb and the AAL will be better with the canopy than just the TSB.
Thanks Oakley. Congrats on TOTM. I thought the coils/ shock combo should perform better, but so many people complained about excessive sagging on their OME Coils. That threw me off a bit. The OME Shocks look cheap in pictures. Considering they are $100 more then the billies, it makes me wonder if I'm paying more for the name. Are they a big improvement over the 5100's? Are they in fact longer then stock? I know the rears are, but not sure about the fronts.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Thanks man. The sagging is the coils not the shock. I personally am not running an OME set up but I have seen their stuff and it's far from cheep. OME is a side venture of ARB so you know it's good. Make sure you add a top plate spacer to get the full 3" of lift. Yes the OME is more expensive but you get what you pay for. The 5100 would work with the 885s and I know people who have done it but if it were me I would buy the shock that the strut was designed for. Either way your in the right boat thou

·
Registered
'08 Double Cab
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realized it was the coils which have sagged on some rides, not the shocks. I guess I combined two different points there.

I didn't realize ARB is a parent company of OME. That definitely changes things. I'm going to try to figure out if the OME shocks are longer as well.

Toytec's kit has the coil, spacer blocks, rear AAL for $299 before any TN discounts.

Toytec and Wheelers seem to be the most popular places to order on here. Agreed?

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
this post happened perfectly! i have a 3" spacer lift on the front of my tacoma. im wanting to order a set of 5100's and just put them at stock height on the front and keep the spacer. basically just give me a better ride. but im second guessing and wondering if i should order the 885's and top plate spacer and then add the bilsteins?

·
GO GATORS!!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,370 Posts
Just get the 885's paired with the 5100's. They are cheaper than the ome shocks and they ride pretty damn good in my opionion. The only other suggestion i have is to also get some extended shocks for the rear or it will ride like crap.

·
Registered
'08 Double Cab
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Rear Bilstein 5100's aren't extended in the rear, right? So who makes a decent, inexpensive extended rear shock?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Rear Bilstein 5100's aren't extended in the rear, right? So who makes a decent, inexpensive extended rear shock?
I bought the rear 5100's thinking they were longer since the description for them shows that they are for 0-2" of lift. Anyways, I found out the hard way after buying and placing them side by side and seeing that the lengths are the same. I bought some shock extenders from Toytec and they have worked great. Way cheaper then buying a new shock set.

If I had to do it over I would buy the Bilstein 5125's since they provide the extra travel length.

I am currently running up front 5100's set at 3rd notch and OME 885's with no top plate spacer. I have messed with my front shock/coil assemblies so much that with my cordless impact I had the truck lifted, tires removed, shock/coils out and at Pepboys within 20 minutes for them to move the snap ring up to the 3rd notch. I did this about 2.5 weeks ago. I did originally have the snap ring at the 2nd notch.

·
Registered
'08 Double Cab
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I bought the rear 5100's thinking they were longer since the description for them shows that they are for 0-2" of lift. Anyways, I found out the hard way after buying and placing them side by side and seeing that the lengths are the same. I bought some shock extenders from Toytec and they have worked great. Way cheaper then buying a new shock set.

If I had to do it over I would buy the Bilstein 5125's since they provide the extra travel length.

I am currently running up front 5100's set at 3rd notch and OME 885's with no top plate spacer. I have messed with my front shock/coil assemblies so much that with my cordless impact I had the truck lifted, tires removed, shock/coils out and at Pepboys within 20 minutes for them to move the snap ring up to the 3rd notch. I did this about 2.5 weeks ago. I did originally have the snap ring at the 2nd notch.
Isn't it a major no-no to adjust the snap ring up from stock position with the 885's?

Thanks for the advice on the rear 5125's. They might actually be part of that bilstein sale right now.

**edit** never mind. that sale is 4 for 3. Who should I contact for the extended bilstein shocks? I don't see them on toytec or wheelers websites. Toytec does however list a Rear Nitrogen ProComp Extended Shock $100/pr

·
Registered
118 Posts
Isn't it a major no-no to adjust the snap ring up from stock position with the 885's?

Thanks for the advice on the rear 5125's. They might actually be part of that bilstein sale right now.
It's not recommended since those 885's are a fairly long coil spring, but I haven't had any issues yet. Cost me $40 at Pep Boys to gain another 1" of lift up front.

I don't want to use a top plate spacer, because I am not running a diff drop and don't want the front to droop too much. Brake lines at full droop and tires turned all the way seem to be already maxed out as well. Could be easily rectified but, like I said no diff drop, no point in extended travel. I have the sway bar disconnected as well so I already get way better articulation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You'll want to run the OME coils with an OME Nitro Shock. The Bilsteins are not valved properly for the OME coil. When the coil breaks in it's not "sagging" it's compressing to the proper preload for the shock. If you run a too heavy of a coil for your application so you can get 3" of lift, your suspension isn't operating in the proper range for the arms nor the shock. If you want to go higher, go for full coil over set up with longer arms.

OME is not designed for 3" of lift. It's designed for 1.75-2" inches. You'll get a really nice ride (better than stock TRD) great rebound control. Pair that up with OME shocks for the rear and an AAL and you'll notice the Aussies have done good.

Here's some photo's for an idea of the stance of OME. I'm running 885's on an access cab with a bumper/winch/skids/sliders. So I'm running about the right amount of weight on the coils. If you were to run the similar set up, you'd be running 886's on a double cab. If you're going to keep it relatively stock then 885's are a good choice.

·
Registered
'08 Double Cab
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
5125s are only for the rear bud and toytec has them. thats where i got mine.
Do you know which ones you got? Looks like the are chosen by travel, extended length and compressed length.

Sonny at Downsouth Moto has some on his website too.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
i ordered mine from toytec, i think they're 12" of travel but dont quote me :lol:

they need an eye to stud adaptor to work properly

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
ok so now im confused...if im gonna replace my shocks with bilsteins will the bilsteins from toytec work? im gonna leave the front at stock setting so i can keep the spacer and just have a better ride

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pa...ategory_id=64&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pa...ategory_id=64&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

also, what's this about an eye to stud adapter? where can i can this at? i have a 3" spacer lift in the front and a block in the rear

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
the eye to stud is only needed for the 5125 like i have.

the links you posted will be fine but i dont think you can reuse the spacer

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you could, just get the 5100's with the Toytec Coilover's for the front. You mentioned you only want to do this once, going that route, if you ever have any change in mind of lift height, just crank them up.

I would just save up and get the toytec setup, same thing OakleyTrd is/was running.

·
Registered
'08 Double Cab
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
If you could, just get the 5100's with the Toytec Coilover's for the front. You mentioned you only want to do this once, going that route, if you ever have any change in mind of lift height, just crank them up.

I would just save up and get the toytec setup, same thing OakleyTrd is/was running.
That's a good idea. I considered getting the 4X 5100's from Downsouth cause they have the best prices, then adding the Toytec Coilover Kit for the fronts and AAL rear. Prices just keep on climbing at that point though

1 - 20 of 40 Posts