Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Toyota P/U
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A coworker of mine whom ive known since highschool has forsale a set of 33x12.50R16 toyo all-terrain tires mounted on XD series alluminum wheels with a fabbed up fake trail ready beadlock ring, they are polished not chrome. Anyway he only wants $600 for all of them and the tires have probably 60-75% tread left on them, i can afford the tires but not the suspension lift so im considering a 3" body lift...the trucks an 89 4wd 5 spd, 3.0.....its a six lug if that matters (or even if they came anyother way). Are body lifts really that bad if done right with gap guards and what not? Will my 3vze handle the extra rolling weight? Thanks for your more experienced opinions

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got a 4 cyl. pickup with a 3" body lift running 33" procomp xterains. I don't use 5th gear that often and there is some fender rub up front (you could crank your torsions). Other than that it runs fine.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
3vze, 33 inch tires on stock drivetrain, you will have some lag, nad 5th becomes a coaster gear only. I rna like that fro a year, and finally put in my 4.88's. It's good to be able to accelerate in 5th again.

You should regear if you go up that big. A body lift will not be too bacd for a street driven truck.

My opinion.

·
Registered
1989 Toyota P/U
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
currently its in its stock form (31" dunlop mudrovers) so when it goes in the dirt or thick mud ill prolly keep thouse to use so that im not trying to really spin 33's is it bad to cruise the freeway in 5th? Just staying at a steady speed not trying to pass or accelerate?

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
like I said :) Coaster gear, the slightest grade up and I would eventully loose speed and would have to down it to 4th. After regearing, I cna accelerate, notblazingly fast, but still, accelerate up most shallow grades, still need to down it fro the steeper ones ( like Cajon pass or the grapevine).

·
Registered
1989 Toyota P/U
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill probably buy the rims/tires because the price is so good, probably bodylift it and just deal with having no 5th gear until i get off my lazy ass and regear it, i can probably order the gears through my work cheap but just wondering rivethed were did you get your's?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 89 ext cab sitting on 33x12.5s under a 3in body lift.
The tires look great under there. But i do agree that 5th is a wasted gear with stock gearing.
I have only had the truck for 2 full tanks and am noticing a measly 10-12 mpg....:confused:does that sound right to anyone??
i would recomend the tires for "city" driving but not much highway...BUT you could just keep it in the mud and not worry about 5th:lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Rivet....
Those 4.88's are worth it???? any idea what stock gearing was in a 89 3vze??? the motor has HIGH mileage and I think come spring, the motor isnt going to have enough to get good tire speed in the slop... do the 4.88's help alot in the low endof 1st and 2nd????
sorry not an attempt to hijack just learning......

·
Registered
1989 Toyota P/U
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries of jacking, im just as new to this/confused as you ha. I consistantly get 15.5 MPG in my 3vze with stock size tires, its got 156,xxx on the clock but was owned by a mechanic (my boss) from day one till i got it, it runs very strong/smooth but id bet id get 12ish with 33's aswell my buddy did with his and stock gears

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
I'd say look at the vin sticker, but that is not much help. 89's had the same variables as my 93, If I remember correctly. anywhere from 4.10's up through OEM 4.88's. if you are open diff, then jack up the rear axle, chock the front, put it in nuetral, and count how many time the drive shaft has to be spun (by hand) to turn the tires once around. counting twice and deviding by half is a bit more accurate. LSD type diff's, the procedure is slightly different.

http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=274535

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

·
Registered
1989 Toyota P/U
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, ive staked my claim on the 33's he's holdin on to em till i can scrap together the funds. But, that being said im gettin stuck with a 3" body lift does anyone know how hard these are to install? Im farily mechanical and am comfortable working on cars but never done a body lift or removal of the body on anything

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
fairly easy with some helping hands, or a car lift. I would dounble check to see if you need a steering extenison, it may or may not come with the lift pucks. :)

·
Registered
1989 Toyota P/U
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, ill check that i figured just to be safe ill get longer break lines and what not so they arent to stressed also i have access to a lift when i want it, girlfriends house ha

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a 3 inch body lift on my truck90 toy 22re 4x4 and it doesnt look bad.. But yes it leaves gaps in wheel wells easily fixable with a cut floor mat or mud flap. But it also leaves a more noticable gap in the rear between the cab and the back bummer :p oddly enough bout 3 inchs.. so while it does have its advantages (easier to remove the fuel filter and tranny blots) it also kinda looks like shit...

I am not very good with cars and what not. This was my first project and I am getting better but it wasnt hard. Plan on it taken a full day and some curse words tho.. The kit should come with a new firewall covor and steering adaptor. I did not need to make any brake/fuel/power steering line extentions but you have to unhook everything from the body and take it SLOW!!! Watch for ground cables too.. And those power steering lines that are in the front area by the plastic front graud...not sure if the v6 are set up that way..

Anyways trying to be helpful..

·
Registered
1991 yota pickup
195 Posts
1991 toyota std cab with 3" body lift here. currently running 33x12.50x15's and have no problem at all with rub or anything. yes i havent seen fifth gear since the lift but i have no intention on regearing till at least 38's go on after i run the tread down on my recently purchased 35's. the extra 6 inches of susp lift i did just for looks. besides when do you ever hit 5th gear anyways? maybe on the highway, but those so called "civillians roads" are way overrated!!! stick with the 4LOW and the biggest god damn rubbers you can buy for protection and get down and dirty!!! make your own road!!

·
Registered
1989 Toyota P/U
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all, if it ever warms up enough (its -1 degree right now) for me to brave the shop/woodburner ill give it a try, thanks again guys

·
Registered
37 Posts
RottenToy said:
Alright, ive staked my claim on the 33's he's holdin on to em till i can scrap together the funds. But, that being said im gettin stuck with a 3" body lift does anyone know how hard these are to install? Im farily mechanical and am comfortable working on cars but never done a body lift or removal of the body on anything
very easy! Me and my brother finished it in under a day! Good Luck and be careful:thumbup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Body lifts arent bad.. take the bumper off.. and take the body bolts off..take the shifter boot off , jack up one side at a time install the new blocks and blots.. watch for ground and other lines.. make sure to unhook EVERYTHing from the body.. put in a new firewall covor, put in steering extender... should take bout 8 hours or so.. took me a good 10 hour day cause i was new and read the directions about 40 times...

good luck

·
Registered
1991 yota pickup
195 Posts
5th gear? whats that? maybe on a steep downhill grade

1 - 20 of 21 Posts