Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the car is a 93 camry 5sfe. can anyone give me some pointers??? i have never done this before. i got the engine back together easily. when i went to put it back in, it was a pain. i can't get the tranny and block to meet. do i need to line something up??? it's an automatic by the way.

i was thinking taking the tranny out then bolting them together outside, and then dropping both in the engine bay.

thanks.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
victor said:
do i need to line something up??? it's an automatic by the way.
Theres a few dowel pins on the tranny.

Anyways the dowel pins must be lined up with the proper holes on the block, otherwise it won't go back together.

Also make sure the torque converter is properly seated on the input shaft of the tranny. My buddy killed his tranny cos his dumbass didn't install the torque converter properly. :disappoin

i was thinking taking the tranny out then bolting them together outside, and then dropping both in the engine bay.
Thats the way I bolt them up on Camrys.

I find it easier to just yank the engine and tranny together.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
yeah, its tough to get them together, but just make sure the dowel pins are straight and that they are goinginto the holes... it can be kinda tough to get them together, just keep trying... make sure you have a friend to help :)

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
^ No.

You need to rotate the crank to get the holes in the flexplate to line up with the bolt holes on the torque converter though. But this is after you get the tranny bolted up to the block.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know about the dowels and about turning the crank to get the driveplate and the torque converter together.

how do i know if the torque converter is on properly??? i think it's on correct, but it could be the problem. my original thought on the problem is that i'm not aligning the block and the tranny correctly.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
the torque converter needs to be lined up by the grooves... you know... those bigass grooves... i would suggest making sure that you get the block and tranny on the same level, then it might still be tough to get together... you can take the starter out to make it a little easier so that isnt in the way at all... then use the biggest bolt to pull the tranny toward the block... it might be tough, but it should go together

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, i was thinking it was the starter also. but doesn't the starter gear pop out when it is needed??? i didn't think the driveplate gears even touch the starter gear.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
victor said:
how do i know if the torque converter is on properly???
Spin the torque converter clockwise and push against it at the same time.

It will be all the way inside the tranny when its seated correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts