Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went on a trip and put about 700 miles on my new RAV4 Hybrid. Started off and went to fill-up at local gas station. It auto shut-off a couple of times while filling up so I thought the gas tank was full. Went about 70 miles and noticed the gas level was not reading full. When I filled up the next time, I came putting in gas after the auto shut-off many time and after driving, I knew the tank was full as it went off full after 100 miles. My wife went to gas station while I was busy and filled up and said it was amazing that it only need 5 gallons (it was about at a quarter tank) and again noticed the gas gauge was not at full after driving ~40 miles.
Is anyone else noticed any trouble getting a full tank of gas or am I special?

·
Registered
2021 Venza Limited
835 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just went on a trip and put about 700 miles on my new RAV4 Hybrid. Started off and went to fill-up at local gas station. It auto shut-off a couple of times while filling up so I thought the gas tank was full. Went about 70 miles and noticed the gas level was not reading full. When I filled up the next time, I came putting in gas after the auto shut-off many time and after driving, I knew the tank was full as it went off full after 100 miles. My wife went to gas station while I was busy and filled up and said it was amazing that it only need 5 gallons (it was about at a quarter tank) and again noticed the gas gauge was not at full after driving ~40 miles.
Is anyone else noticed any trouble getting a full tank of gas or am I special?

This Is most likely a fuel filler pipe issue. Also try to change the angle of insertion of the gas pump to ensure a fit that keeps the pressure until full.Keep your hand on the pump handle don;t leave it sit there it can blow in wind and change pressure causing shut off as if it were full.

TOM

·
Registered
Rav4 Hybrid
86 Posts
Just went to a BP gas station where I never got gas before. My car was two notches from empty, he had it on the slowest click. It kicked it off and I added $.75 or so to even out the cash purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wile I love this car, I am having the same problem. Will try the methods suggested above to fill the tank, but Toyota should fix this problem, or do a recall on it. This hybrid should be able to go significantly further on a tank of gas than my last car with a similar tank size, which is not the case. I am just going to carry a gas can with me and see how many miles I can go passed zero "distance to empty." Might as well do it while the car is under warranty in case it causes problems with the fuel pump. I should be able to run a car down to 1-1.5 gallons left and it not cause a problem for the fuel pump. Ran my 1996 Camry down to fumes for years (ran out of gas a couple times) and never had trouble with the fuel pump, not to say it wont cause problems.

·
Don't get mad. Get even.
a Toyota camry, daaa
1,778 Posts
We are having the same problem, with the light on and 20 miles left to go ( according to the monitor) I can only put 8 1/2 gallons.

·
2016 Avalon Limited
259 Posts
This probably won't help but I will throw it out there. If you are in a state that has the vapor recovery nozzle (like California) you can experience the early fuel shutoff a lot. Chevy Corvettes experience this and it does get old. If I am in Arizona (they do not have vapor recovery, I never have an issue). Sometimes just going to a different station might help. Turning the nozzle might help. But chances are it probably will not go away. I can take any of my cars (in CA) to a gas station and fill it up, no issues. Take the Corvette to the same pump and it shuts off enough times to drive you nuts. One word of caution: if you do rotate the nozzle trying to get it to fill up, be careful. Some guys have had the pump NOT shut off causing a mess you do not want to deal with. (I am looking at buying a new RAV4 hybrid and just happened to find this thread).

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid XSE
6 Posts
I just had my first fill-up on a new 2019 XSE Hybrid. I was able to get it full according to the gauge but the tank only took 9.5 gallons. Made in Japan 4/2019 model.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They did some tests and forwarded the info the the engineers in Texas. Nothing useful to report yet other than that Toyota acknowledged the issue. Not sure if I'm allowed to direct traffic elsewhere but there is a longer thread with more details on a different forum specifically for RAV4s. Meanwhile I'm working on getting a Lemon Law replacement. Sounds like the new new ones don't have the fuel filling early shut off issue.

XLE Hybrid, Japan built, Pacific NW purchased early May.

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Not sure if I'm allowed to direct traffic elsewhere but there is a longer thread with more details on a different forum specifically for RAV4s. .

If it's constructive information - sure, post link to the other thread.

What you are not allowed is crossposting. So please, be mindful of that. I understand you are interested in capering as many clients for your lawyer as possible, but dura lex, sed lex. Crossposting is generally referred to as posting same post in various threads.

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6 and 2019 Hybrid Rav 4 xle
844 Posts
wonder if car makers need to test cars in different states?

is it the vapor recovery nozzle "hose" causing it? can you manually pull the hose back briefly (possib;y illegal?) does that allow more gas into the tank, as a test?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a hybrid LE in California from Japan. When I got it from the dealer the gas was reading close to empty. Their service took it (without me) to a nearby Valero gas station and now the gas is on Full. I'm not clear if people here want the needle to be over Full?

My dash says 468 miles to empty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not clear if people here want the needle to be over Full?
I'm more concerned that people are driving 10% of the range of the vehicle and are then complaining because the gauge us not on "full"
Yet people also complain "I get horrible mileage if I go less than 1/2 tank... the gauge goes down SOO FAST, but it takes forever to go from F to 1/2!"
I'm surprised some people remember to breathe.

The gauge is not a meter. It is a gauge and only a gauge. It is an indication of the relative fuel level in the tank so you know when you need to refuel.
No mechanical gauge is dead-accurate at the extremes of its measuring range.
This is absolutely the dumbest issue to file a class action lawsuit about.
The only winners in a class action lawsuit are the attorneys... 10 million settlement, the legal team gets 5 mil, and the owners get a gas card for $20
You clearly understand the issue at hand and what is best for everyone on this thread. Op- go ahead and close this thread. The hundreds or maybe thousands of owners of defective cars are clearly in the wrong.

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Folks, let's keep the thread civil.

It is about owners not being able to fill full tank of gas.
Statistics or not, it should be addressed, if it is present.
But please, stay on topic, as thread starts heating up.

Moderator.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Poster drove 700 miles on a hybrid Rav4... that is a great range for an SUV.
We do not have information provided on refill after 700 miles.
We know that refill was 5 gallons but do not know how many miles was driven on those 5 gallons.
We don't have enough information to tell if there is an actual problem or not, all we know is there is a perception that the tank is not full because the gauge is moving off of "F" within the first 100 miles.

I edited this to make it less personal sounding. Examples from non hybrids are irrelevant to the thread.

IMHO, hybrid doing 100 miles till it unglues off F is doing just fine. Moderator.
If you don't have the issue being discussed here and don't want to read all of the posts then please don't diminish other posters' experiences and please don't say "we." The OP says that the trip was 700 miles, not just one tank of gas (2 tanks it sounds like). The issue is that the tank doesn't fill up all the way before the gas pump shuts off. The fuel gauge appears to properly reflect this. There are several other threads discussing this issue, and Toyota confirmed the issue directly when they offered to buy back my car.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,106 Posts
If you don't have the issue being discussed here and don't want to read all of the posts then please don't diminish other posters' experiences and please don't say "we." The OP says that the trip was 700 miles, not just one tank of gas (2 tanks it sounds like). The issue is that the tank doesn't fill up all the way before the gas pump shuts off. The fuel gauge appears to properly reflect this. There are several other threads discussing this issue, and Toyota confirmed the issue directly when they offered to buy back my car.
Exactly. We don't know how far he drove or how much gas he took for each tank. OP has not responded in this thread, and we have incomplete information from the OP, making a meaningful evaluation difficult.
As far as using the term "we", what should I say? This is not a one-on-one, the OP is seeking advice from the forum members. To do so, we need complete and accurate information to help evaluate the issue.

Regardless... it's been 2 months since the OP posted in this thread, I'm genuinely curious if there is an actual problem or simply a perception problem, but that's obviously not going to be clear. I'm out.

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Personally, I'd consider "he", especially used continuously in same post, pretty much finger pointing and it may come across as offensive. Members get attached to their posts and frequently take responses personally. I was same way, I am still same way, but my skin grew thicker.
OP is pretty much good all around reference.

That said, wise man always knows when to stop. Sometimes, continuing argument, as there is difference between discussion and argument, becomes argument for the sake of argument.
While, in reality, it does not matter, who gets the last word, as far as question is answered.
Or, inevitably, sparks and lightnings start flying and warnings issued and threads closed.
I believe, this thread has valid point. Multiple owners present with the same concern. No need to turn it into the "I got to have the last word" one. OP bailed - let it be.

·
Registered
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
3 Posts
I had a 2019 RAV4 Limited Hybrid, Ruby Flare Pearl, on order from Japan since early June and now they are saying late September until it arrives. I understand that wait times are great with these hybrids but now that I have had the time to think and read about this issue here and on another Toyota forum we are canceling our order. We had no down payment. Also, perhaps when my 2016 Hybrid is paid off in a few months it will be good to be without a payment for a while and make another decision on buying in the future. My 2016 has been a wonderful performing vehicle and has 32,000 miles. I am, however, a little embarrassed to tell my salesman.

1 - 20 of 263 Posts