Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished redoing my system, all new everything from the battery back. I ran 4 ga to the trunk, hooked up my capacitor (new to the system) ran that to my amps, put in new speaker wire( 14 ga) and ran that to my new speakers.
everything soungs great, I have yet to fine tune/ permanently mount the tweeters (still in the double sided tape phase) and re install the subs. I realized this morning that my capacitor is always "on".
It is one of the caps with the voltmeter and two leds. i assume, since I followed the directions exactly that this is supposed to be like that, but I wasn't sure. I'm sure that it isn't too much of a draw (it's only a voltmeter and couple of LEDs after all)but I really don't want to have dead battery-itis. any imput is appriciated

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
how long have you watched it after you turned off your car/system. im pretty sure that it automatically detects current and turns on... so if you leave your car off for 5 minutes or so it should be off

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
My cap turn itself off if power is stable.
Check the cap manual to see if it'll turn itself off.
Cap does get constant power cause its getting power from the main power cable.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the manual doesn't say anything about turning off, but I'll check when I get to my car after work to see if it's on then or if, as Stealth suggests, it has turned itself off.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Mine turn off within 30 sec. It turn on when there is >0.1V change in system. Don't know if opening the door, unlock with alarm will cause it to turn on. So maybe leave the trunk open for a few min to see if it turn off.
I'll be tough to get a big enough relay to switch it off with ignition.

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
For capacitors that have a LED display, there should be a contact that gets connected to the blue turn-on wire for the amps. There typically is a delay, but you should not see the LED read-out when the car is completely off.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Luc said:
For capacitors that have a LED display, there should be a contact that gets connected to the blue turn-on wire for the amps. There typically is a delay, but you should not see the LED read-out when the car is completely off.
X2

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's definately on all the time. I'm a little disappointed also cos my car is constant at 12.59. I really need to start switiching the big 3 to o gauge. but what should I do about the cap?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
run the the little blue wire to the the remote turn on connection on the amp, that should fix your problem.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
run it to the positive terminal on the cap?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Try to see if there is another connection other then the 2 big terminal. Do not connect the remote wire to cap +ve. Your whole system will be on all the time :eek:

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's what I was concerned about, I'll check it out.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
97avalonxls said:
run it to the positive terminal on the cap?
No.

Theres 3 terminals on the cap. Positive, ground, and one that turns on the led display.

Wire the terminal for the led display to the amp turn on lead.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
sorry I confused but exactly what 88LE said

·
edud NT laiciffO
161 Posts
Well, my digicap does not have a remote turn on/off at all. Its just has two connections, power and ground. It does have an automatic cut off. I thought that it never shuts off, but when the voltage remains constant for a minute or so, it will shut off. However, when the voltage changes, the cap turns on. Anything will make it turn on, turning the alarm on/off, opening the door to where the dome light turns on. It may seem that its on all the time b/c when u hit the alarm, voltage changes, and by the time you sneak a peek, the read out is on. Any fluctuation in voltage is going to make it stay on, so you basically have to leave the car off and have a stare contest with the cap and make sure it turns off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pineapple said:
Mine turn off within 30 sec. It turn on when there is >0.1V change in system. Don't know if opening the door, unlock with alarm will cause it to turn on. So maybe leave the trunk open for a few min to see if it turn off.
I'll be tough to get a big enough relay to switch it off with ignition.
Depends on the brand....
All of my Harrison labs stay on all the time. One shows good voltage and the other shows fully charged. if it has power from the battery then thay should be on (fully charged) unless you have a High current relay that disconnects the power when the car is turned off ( I have never seen a relay that big though)
so depending on the type of cap it is prefectly normal and you should only worry if it goes out...
David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts