Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
one of a kind
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
arent capacitors suppose act as a secondary battery with store more power from the car battery and send it to the amp to produce more power to your subs without draining your battery and diming your headlights??

Well thats not the case for me because i just bought a New power acoustik capacitor 5 farad $80 at ebay; add to my audiobahn A8000T mono amp (400 RMS, 800 watts) to power up my 12" Alpine type-r. Anyway the question that i am asking is that it doesnt make any different with or without the capacitor....My headlights still dim and my amp produce the same output

Anyone knows whats wrong with it...is the brand of the capacitor, or my battery thats weak. any sugguestion how i can fixed this..

·
one of a kind
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info..now i know

so what the different between a 1 farad and 20 farad capacitor...are the same. since a 1 farad is useless is that me a higher one is just as bad cause it will draws more current from the alternator

·
Registered
asst'd
78 Posts
Stiffening Capacitors strengths lie more in their ability to quickly pass current stores(similar to a battery) but with a much much lower internal resistance than most batteries.

Ideally, most typical systems should not require a capacitor, provided the rest of the install and components are setup properly and are matched to each other.

·
deviate from the absolute
92 toyota camry
4,910 Posts
so very true will

·
Whats a Noobian?
camry 98'
218 Posts
3cyltrbo said:
Stiffening Capacitors strengths lie more in their ability to quickly pass current stores(similar to a battery) but with a much much lower internal resistance than most batteries.

Ideally, most typical systems should not require a capacitor, provided the rest of the install and components are setup properly and are matched to each other.
this is true, but in general, capacitors can discharge current faster than a battery. a good battery would be a better investment than a capacitor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Capacitors cannot charge to a higher voltage than is available so they do nothing to help a charging system in distress. Capacitors will have the same effect on your system if you install it or throw it far away from your vehicle as possible.
The source for all energy to move a speaker is your alternator.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
^:D
I've read of people who have had a loss in SPL when they added a capacitor.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
96camryracer said:
arent capacitors suppose act as a secondary battery with store more power from the car battery and send it to the amp to produce more power to your subs without draining your battery and diming your headlights??

Well thats not the case for me because i just bought a New power acoustik capacitor 5 farad $80 at ebay; add to my audiobahn A8000T mono amp (400 RMS, 800 watts) to power up my 12" Alpine type-r. Anyway the question that i am asking is that it doesnt make any different with or without the capacitor....My headlights still dim and my amp produce the same output

Anyone knows whats wrong with it...is the brand of the capacitor, or my battery thats weak. any sugguestion how i can fixed this..

Do the Big 3 upgrade. Get a good battery with a higher CCA, save up for an alternator.

A cap is pointless.

·
Whats a Noobian?
camry 98'
218 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
Do the Big 3 upgrade. Get a good battery with a higher CCA, save up for an alternator.

A cap is pointless.
i would say putting in a high output alt is a last resort. you not only give up horsepower, but your gas milage will also suffer.

·
Land of The Few.
MK3 SUPRA
67 Posts

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
922 Posts
holy crap.. a person relatively close.. and wow i was unaware of this place. Maybe i should have got some of my electrical stuff from there. Not so sure aboutt hat powercap deal but the batteries seem neat. Although from readin about them they are most likely batteries that provide good power mainly from a non-ruinning engine. Not to say they dont with it running. But damn ill have to look into that.

·
Land of The Few.
MK3 SUPRA
67 Posts
Yea at world finals we ran 8 mtx 1501s off of 4 6 volts and their big 12 volt and didn't have a problem. We were louder with it than with 8. 6 volts. I think we did like a 155db or around there it was a long time ago can't remember for sure. But they work good.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
I remember saying that your stock battery does something around 600 farads so 1 or 2 farads won't help and 20 wouldn't be very useful either. I've heard better things about batcaps and the likes but yeah I'd recommend spending your money on a yellow top or similar battery.

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
922 Posts
dax115 said:
High out put alternators of iowa makes a bat cap that at world finals 3 years ago i personaly saw on of these help. But they are diff than your regular cap they are the equivelent to 200 1 farad capacitors. Just thought i would through that in there. http://www.h-o-alternators.com/catalog/powrcap_320514_products.htm. They also make some crazy batteries take a look at the amp. rating.
http://www.h-o-alternators.com/catalog/powrbank_320515_products.htm

OK.. i went to this site, and it showed that you could request a price quote for a H.O. alternator.. It showed for a 01 camry v6 a 170 amp alternator. Not very H.O. if you ask me, but regardless, I submitted anyway thinking " hey maybe they just sell these things fairly cheap." Anyways today i got an email stating the quote for this 170amp alternator, AND I COULD ONLY STARE IN AWE AT HOW MUCH THESE GUYS WANTED.

Suggested Retail $735 Your Price $649

you have got to be kidding me... not to mention that they reccommend buying there.. $199 dollar "PowerCap"... shit its like buying a full stereo setup but wasting it all on electrical shit. :eek: :thumbdown.. i totally lost respect for this site after i saw this

BOO!!... :disappoin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts