Toyota Nation Forum banner

Car Alarm won't disable

1440 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Gregory Bentz
I have a 2005 Highlander and my handyman for my rentals uses it when he does my house repairs. Today he called and said it wouldn't start so I thought it was the battery since it's been so cold and it's not my daily driver. 10 minutes later he called and said it magically started. So 2 hours ago I was going to run a few errands and decided to use that car and I noticed the security light was flashing. I put the key in and then just my luck the car won't start. It has full juice, radio, windows, lights, even hooked up jumper cables from my other car thinking the battery was a little weak and throwing something off but nada. So for the past 2 hours I have been under the dash, checking wires, looking for an alarm kill switch but I can't find anything. I pulled the neg terminal for 30 minutes hoping that would do something but I still can't get the immobilizer to disengage. Also when I bought it a year ago it came with only one key and no fobs. I bought 2 fobs on ebay and programmed them myself.

Any ideas before I go crazy here?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were me, I'd just remove the alarm system altogether. Thats what I did with my 2001 Corolla when the alarm started causing issues.

I would if I could find the control module. I thought it was under the driver side dash area. I traced the cables from the little security light which go to a bundle of wires which go to another bundle of wires

· Toyota Fanatic
1,152 Posts
I would if I could find the control module. I thought it was under the driver side dash area. I traced the cables from the little security light which go to a bundle of wires which go to another bundle of wires
If it has a starter kill, you need to look at the wires attached to the key tumbler and see if there's any wires cut/tapped and where that leads to, stock wires should be bundled cleanly inside a wire loom with lots of electrical tape.

Although most installers will place the module on the drivers side, I had to put it one on the passenger side for a Venza as most of the wires were there.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it has a starter kill, you need to look at the wires attached to the key tumbler and see if there's any wires cut/tapped and where that leads to, stock wires should be bundled cleanly inside a wire loom with lots of electrical tape.

Although most installers will place the module on the drivers side, I had to put it one on the passenger side for a Venza as most of the wires were there.

Okay once this freezing rain stops if ever I will go out there and follow the wires from there. Do you happen to know the model number of the module or have a stock image so I know what I am looking for? I remembering seeing a few small black module looking boxes last night under the steering column

· Toyota Fanatic
1,152 Posts
Okay once this freezing rain stops if ever I will go out there and follow the wires from there. Do you happen to know the model number of the module or have a stock image so I know what I am looking for? I remembering seeing a few small black module looking boxes last night under the steering column
I do not sorry, my Highlander is long gone and my RX330 has the key in a different spot. I have done remote starts on both but don't remember wire colors. But, follow where you put the key in, that assembly is a long tube which will have a large wiring harness plug at or towards the end and thick gauge wiring coming from it. I'll check remote start guides to try to get you the correct colors. I recall the Highlander key tumbler is on the steering wheel column so you will have to remove the covers to get a good view.

Colors:
12volts white (40A), yellow (30A) + ignition harness
Starter BLACK/ white + ignition harness
Second Starter black + ignition harness
Ignition gray + ignition harness
Second Ignition green + ignition harness
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory blue + ignition harness
Second Accessory N/A

The ones I colored are what you need to pay attention to. If the alarm interrupts either of these the car will not even crank. If it were an immobilizer issue the car will crank but will not turn over.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not sorry, my Highlander is long gone and my RX330 has the key in a different spot. I have done remote starts on both but don't remember wire colors. But, follow where you put the key in, that assembly is a long tube which will have a large wiring harness plug at or towards the end and thick gauge wiring coming from it. I'll check remote start guides to try to get you the correct colors. I recall the Highlander key tumbler is on the steering wheel column so you will have to remove the covers to get a good view.

Colors:
12volts white (40A), yellow (30A) + ignition harness
Starter BLACK/ white + ignition harness
Second Starter black + ignition harness
Ignition gray + ignition harness
Second Ignition green + ignition harness
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory blue + ignition harness
Second Accessory N/A

The ones I colored are what you need to pay attention to. If the alarm interrupts either of these the car will not even crank. If it were an immobilizer issue the car will crank but will not turn over.

Awesome thanks and yes the car cranks fine but will not turn over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.