Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The August issue of car and driver magazine carries a Corolla XRS review in it. The reviewers gave it rave reviews and praised Toyota's new direction. The performance stats were:

Corolla XRS:

0-60 - 7.0 secs
1/4 mile - 15.8 secs
Skidpad (Handling): 0.83 lateral g's on a 300 foot skidpad.

This puts Corolla XRS as one of the fastest stock sport sedans
(and coupes).

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
I'm thinking that "blkrolla" will concur! I seem to vaguely remember him talk about taking out a Honda Prelude with his XRS. :D

I love knocking the socks off some Civic driver when I hit 'lift'. Ba-bye!!:cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
did you got your 1/4 time from drag strip or from G tech unit ? I can't wait to get mine!.. Not as quick as my old mustang but this should be a fun car. When I did road test last week i founded that even at low rpm the engine do not bad at all. I think that they retuning they have done compare to the 180hp matrix / celica will be good for city driving and traffic jam!
:)

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hatch, 0-60 in 6.7 secs?? man oh man that is a tad faster (or as fast) than a Celica GT-S. Seems like the second generation 2ZZ is better than the first generation found in Celica GT-S. Toyota is going places now, for sure. Stock on stock, Corolla XRS is faster than the BMW 325i, Sentra SE-R ( not spec V), 04 Civic Si, RSX Coupe and Mazda 3.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TOCorolla. I am with you bro. I am planning to trade my 04 Corolla S for an XRS in August. I cannot seem to get over it after the test drive. The engine is singing sweet songs at 8000 RPM where other car engines explode. You put on some mods and you would have a 200 HP Corolla, which weighs only 2600 lbs. That is the secret of it''s speed.

A question for people who own the Corolla XRS, how do you like the electronic drive by wire throttle system (ECTS-I)???? I have driven it only once.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
Drive-by-wire technology basically just means thyat instead of mechanical means (steering arm, Throttle cable etc.) the system runs by computers and switches.. It has some good and bad points:

Good Points:
Makes it easier for us backwards Oztralians to convert to right hand drive if the whole system is drive-by-wire. Also can be alot more precice (Just as EFI is more precice at fuel management and delivery than a carb) as Digital technology is getting more and more advanced these days and can act in an analog fashion.

Bad Points:
Electronics, historically, have a greater chance of failing than mechanical means, although it is getting alot better these days. Also alot harder to work on... If an Accelerator cable snaps, you just replace it.. if a Drive-by-wire system fails... a whole range of things could go wrong.

Anyway, thats my view on Drive-by-wire... I still think the old way is a better system, but it will only get better.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 25 min test drive showed that the drive by wire Corolla XRS throttle appeared to be a lot more responsive as compared to my traditional mechanically driven 04 Corolla S. On the same note, I felt it was very touchy as well when you let the clutch off and press the throttle since I usually make the throttle meet the clutch half way first and then let go of the clutch. It works differently for the XRS.

As for the down points, Toyota has been putting drive by wire systems in the Lexus models for 5-6 years so Toyota has a lot of experience behind it. I have never read of any computer failure related to Lexus. Although, there was a problem of throttle lag in the RX300 and ES330, which caused them to surge forward unexpectedly, but that only applies to auto tranny and it has been resolved anyway in the new Lexus models. Drive by wire works perfectly with manual trannies.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I read somewhere heal-toe downshift is harder in electronic throttle. Not sure about it. If anyone else can expand on that, it would be great.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Hesitation during takeoff eh? I seem to get that with every car I've driven from GM's to Mazda to Toyota....so I attributed that to engineering or "user-error".

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any feedback on XRS drive-by-wire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.