Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Corolla LE with 166000km

Looking for some advice on what might have went wrong here. We took the car in to get a tire change on Saturday and went to pick it up Sunday morning. When we went to pick it up the car was inside the shop and would crank but not start. I work out of town so I left it in the shop and went away. This morning I called to get the story from the shop on what happen since the car was working perfectly fine when it went in and now it doesn't start. The manager told me that a mechanic was able to start the car this morning by pressing all they way down on the gas pedal and turning the key. They said by pressing down on the gas pedal it clears the system of flooded fuel which is what happened to my car. They tried turning the car off and on a couple of times and it seems to work fine.

Couple of questions:

• What would cause my system to get flooded in the first place.
  • Does pressing the gas pedal actually do what they said it does. Does it clear the system of flooded fuel? I am not well versed in the fuel systems in the car and how they work.
  • Is there something else wrong with the car that I should be looking at. I don't want this problem to come up again if I can fix it (Prevent it before it happens). If the car starts up fine now I assume the start, fuel pump and key system are all working fine.
Thanks for the time and help.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,876 Posts
Since your model has electronic controlled throttle, its possible that the ECU saw the correct position and sent a signal to the fuel injectors to flow.

As you crank, the ECU has to verify the position of the crank and throttle position sensors but waits for a reply before the engine will start.

You can try disconnecting the battery which in turn will reset the ECU and it will relearn all of the driving inputs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since your model has electronic controlled throttle, its possible that the ECU saw the correct position and sent a signal to the fuel injectors to flow.

As you crank, the ECU has to verify the position of the crank and throttle position sensors but waits for a reply before the engine will start.

You can try disconnecting the battery which in turn will reset the ECU and it will relearn all of the driving inputs.
How long would I need to keep the battery disconnected for?

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,388 Posts
"Does pressing the gas pedal actually do what they said it does. Does it clear the system of flooded fuel? I am not well versed in the fuel systems in the car and how they work."
Toyota doesn't have the clear flood mode at least not on my 05 Camry.

"Is there something else wrong with the car that I should be looking at. I don't want this problem to come up again if I can fix it (Prevent it before it happens). If the car starts up fine now I assume the start, fuel pump and key system are all working fine. "
Unfortunately Intermittent problem can't be diagnosed properly unless it can be reproduced.
Call/ask around for a top auto diagnostic tech experienced with intermittent problems.
He may be able to come up with an answer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A couple weeks ago, had this happen to my dad's Ram pickup. I arrived at the dump with some wood, dropped it off, and it wouldnt start after this. It may be in a worse condition/reliability than your corolla, but I was surprised that it would crank and not start all of sudden. Hopefully, the guy working at the dump told me to press the gas and start it, and it just did! He doesnt seem to be having problems with it, a few weeks later so probably a fuel thing, too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts