Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AW11 89 SC just stalled out and wont start. It turns but wont start up. The gas is full, the oil is there, transmission fluid ok, battery working. It was starting up fine prior to this, not sure whats wrong. any ideasa?

·
Registered
3 Posts
buy some carburator cleaner andhave a friend spray it while u crank the motor, if it starts to run on the carb cleaner, then there isnt any fuel getting there, which means more investingating. if it doesnt run, put a screwdriver in a sprak plug wire and make it ground to the block. if there is spark then there should combustion, then i dont know wtf else could be wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
89 mr2s arent carburated.

Id check your spark plugs for being especially dirty. you can take a brass brush to them to clean them out. Thats most likely not it though, as that the chances of all four spark plugs failing at once are very unlikely. It might be some sort of blockage before the fuel rail (as that again, all four injectors failing is very unlikely)

it might be something like the ignition wire being frayed, but thats unlikely too.

Too thick oil (also unlikely)

I dont know what to tell you, my 88sc has never not started.

What sort of noises does the car make when you try to start it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It Cranks up and seems like its ALMOST going to start, but...doesnt. I figure its the fuel pump or perhaps fuel filter...but I'm really not sure...been messing with it for the last day, its not the spark plugs...so i'm not sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
try giving it some gas when you start it, but not too much, just a little.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, If it was the alternator, I think push starting it would have worked...which...didnt...after many many tiring tries in the sun.

2600lbs is alot for such a damn small car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
1. Check your distributor cap. Make sure you are getting good nice sparks from those wires. Do what curve 457 suggested before, stick a screwdriver to the ignition cable, place the screwdriver close enough to the chassis and see if the gap will generate any sparks.....

2. Fuel pump sender unit may be gone, you will need to get someone to check that for you..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm, the spark plugs are sparking, I guess i'll take it into the shop to check my fuel pump, I think that would be the most likely problem. Thanks alot, i'll let ya know what it turns out to be...

on a side note, are there any preferred headers for the SC MK1?

·
Registered
55 Posts
well you don't HAVE to send it out, its just a suggestion. I mean, i replaced the fule pump on my ST205 and AW11 right at home myself, it is rather time consuming though :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
4-AGZE said:
89 mr2s arent carburated.

it doesnt matter is it isnt carburated, i simply was sayin to throw some carb cleaner in there because if the car cleaner is able to combust in the combustion chamber, it will run the motor and u will find out that there isnt any fuel being delieverd. then he checked if there was spark. so if he did that then the car would try to run and probably would run. so idk, if i was there it would be dif. oh well i got my point across

·
Registered
55 Posts
yup.. i know what you are trying to do curve, thats why i didn't commented on the carburated part.. i was going to suggest dripping gas in each manually and start it taht way :) but i figure its rather risky :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
lol i wasnt reacting to ur reply, i was to the guy on the top. and with the dripping gas in manually, idk man, sounds something johnny knoxville would do. all i kno is i wouldnt do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would gladly of worked on me car, but unfortunately it was stuck in a residential in the "richer" side of town...the paranoid type of people who will have your car towed if its left unattended. Towing it to a shop is cheaper, and hopefully it wont take as long.

drip gas into each one...that sounds fun...like fry my eye brows off fun.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
...how would dripping gas into each cylinder when the car is off and the spark plugs out at all a bad idea. If it will start, it will justt show that the fuel is not reaching the cylinders and not shoot flames anywhere or anything... Its the same thing as spraying the carb cleaner in the throttle body...
-Terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
It happened to my car b-4 and I have to take out the oil cap and adjust the timing mark in the lineuse of socket to move the crank shaft have someon to look if the mark on the cam reach the line on the opening of oil cap.then see if the rotor is pointing in no#1 wire position if not pull out the whole distributor and align it to # 1 wire. if everything is ok . your coil is not werkin

·
Registered
123 Posts
It seems you haven't pulled a code yet, as you haven't mentioned that. If you get a Code 12, you'll know that your distributor sensor isn't getting a reliable signal to the ECU. The likely cause for this is dirty connections in the distributor-ECU connector.

You could also have a bad coil or a bad ignitor. I've seen that lately as well, although the guy changed both and it ran, so we don't know for sure what fixed it.

·
Registered
87 MR2 SC V6
52 Posts
I have a 87 n/a and mine was doing the same thing and come to find out it was the O2 sensor. The wire must of gotten snagged or something and it wripped and caused the computer to not get a reading. To check this just simply get under the car and see if it is still connected at the bottem of the header and also check the quick disconnect whitch is located near the fan on the passenger side.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
26 Posts
pull your feed fuel line out and try to turn on your motor. when you try to start the motor gas should come out of it. if it don't than its you fuel pump. if it not your fuel pump than there could be a chance that your timming might have jump off. therefore you can't start your car. see if my information helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts