Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys and girls i just got a 92 celica gts froma afriend and it needs some work but i am kinda new to this so i figure hey now shame in asking for some advice. the car is a auto and needs a new trans any tips on what to buy and she has 253k on her so i want a new engine so what would be a good one to buy? and what about a intercooler and turbo. i know its alot to think about at once but hey mabey i can get a look at the cash i got to raise. i will be out of town for the next 2 days so if you can post me here or mail me at [email protected] with any advice.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
buy a 3sgte with a fwd tranny already bolted to it and your good to rock .... or if you fell reall adventurus you can try and make a 5sgte dont know how well the mounts will work but should work .... you can also really be inventive and drop a 1mz-fe dont know if it's ever been done but i guess if people put them in a small mr2 then should work as well with the celica

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
1MZ has been done in a Celica. But for a noob, I'd say a 3SGTE swap is very adventurous, but makes the most sense (other than 5SFE). I say go 3SGTE, and I'm sure you could find a Celica board that would have plenty of info on it.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
3SGTE will come with an intercooler (top mount) and a turbo. You should be able to find a Celica version for < $1,200 from what i have seen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I think that the advice will be a big help. If you think of anything else drop a line.
Oh-yeah I almost forgot any thoughts on what kind of pipes should i put on her? I want a nice rumble but not over kill.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
That'll all depend on what sort of engine you put in her

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
engine

ok i got ya! I am told and correct me if i am wrong but if i take a 3sgteand put in a 5sfe crank then i get a 2.2L turbo w/intercooler 5sgte so what would sound good with that? and i can't seem to find any prices online for a 5sfe crank so am i looking in the wrong place? Her trans is auto and i want to keepthat way so the wife can drive but the trans is like next to dead so what kind of trans would work best with the 5sgte? thanks for letting me pick your brain.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
This is getting beyond my knowledge, so don't take my word for it. But for a 5S-GTE I'd say 2.5" piping... as for the 5S crank in the 3S block, I'm not sure on that. I've assumed that's how it's done, but I'm not sure. Search for posts by Wraith you should be able to get some good info from his old posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts