Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just bought my new automatic PreRunner v6 Taco like about 2 weeks ago and I noticed today that if I shift the gear from Park to Drive it gives me a 'jerk' or a little 'shake'. Is that normal?? Thanks in Advance.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Hey Guys,

I just bought my new automatic PreRunner v6 Taco like about 2 weeks ago and I noticed today that if I shift the gear from Park to Drive it gives me a 'jerk' or a little 'shake'. Is that normal?? Thanks in Advance.
Its a truck not a car. Are you shifting into drive when its cold and the RPM's are high? If so the jolt is normal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes. It will be more pronounced until it get's up to temp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a truck not a car. Are you shifting into drive when its cold and the RPM's are high? If so the jolt is normal.
Yes I am shifting when its cold and the RPM's high. Thanks for clarifying this! I was kinda worried for a bit. This is my first truck too..btw

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you use your e/parking brake?

If so, apply the brake while you still have your foot on the regular brake, after you shift to park. Then release your foot from the regular brake.

That way, the truck's weight is on th e/parking brake, not the transmission. Do the reverse order to when you hop in to drive.

Keeps the weight off the transmission.

·
Registered
94 Posts
this is normal for a car or truck with auto trans in cold weather, just put your foot on the brake before you shift. no real need to use the emergency/parking brake. I seldom use an emergency/parking brake on an auto trans, especially in the winter. sometimes, if there is enough slush/ice on them, they will not let go(release), when you release the handle, and there is nothing like crawling under your vehicle when it's 10* outside, laying on the frozen ground trying to get ice off the cables.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts