Toyota Nation Forum banner

Car lights will not turn off and long beep

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jerry1zzfe 
#1 ·
Hello! I have owned my 2004 Matrix for going on 12 years. It has been a great little car but little things here and there start to show it’s age.

Like yesterday, I turn the ignition off and begin to get out of my car but the car has a long beep noise. I also notice that my lights are on. Mind you the key is completely removed from the ignition. I’ve read that this may have to do with a switch for the brake not being able to turn off. I try several times to turn on the car, turn it off and try and remove the key and it still has that long beep and the lights are still on. With my gfs help it looks like it’s the brake lights because when I stepped on the brake they got brighter so they appear to be the same lights. I also thought maybe I just needed to turn down the internal lights to 0 so I moved that all the way on the left side of the dashboard and the lights were still on still long annoying beep.

It only does the beep when the door is open. 2 lights on the front and 2 lights in the back are the only ones affected. All I could do last night was unplug the battery and reconnect it every time I need to drive it. It’s like the car thinks it’s still on- very strange. What do y’all think it is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.