Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 geo prizm seems to be leaking/burning oil and lots of it. I was putting 20w-50 up until recently after i replaced my valve cover gasket which was leaking. I figured maybe i fixed my oil leak and started putting 10w-30. Well the car seems to be needing more oil now. Where else can the oil leak from. Im pretty sure i need a head gasket but that is my last option right now since it can be very expensive. I wanted to replace my Oil pan gasket. Do the 94 geo prizm 1.6 L engines use a rubber gasket or a silicone gasket. For some reason the toyota dealer told me it was silicone but on rock auto I see they offer a rubber gasket. Any other places I can check for oil leaks? Or is there anything i can put in the engine to seal up oil leaks. The oil is leaking at a alarming rate. Or how do you know if it burns the oil that could be another reason for my oil consumption.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
My 94 Geo Prizm burns more oil than THAT! Shoot, I burn a quarter quart a day or more if I'm workin.

Anyway if it's burning rather than just leaking out, you should be able to see blue smoke shooting out of your tailpipe. It does on mine when under load / when I rev it up real high. I leave a nice big cloud behind when I dip off the line.

So get in your car and put the pedal to the metal and glance at your tailpipe area with your passenger side rear view mirror and see if smoke pours out of the tailpipe.

Otherwise there is a leak. But finding it can be as easy as just giving the engine a good visual inspection.

·
11,513 Posts
My 94 geo prizm seems to be leaking/burning oil and lots of it. I was putting 20w-50 up until recently after i replaced my valve cover gasket which was leaking. I figured maybe i fixed my oil leak and started putting 10w-30. Well the car seems to be needing more oil now. Where else can the oil leak from. Im pretty sure i need a head gasket but that is my last option right now since it can be very expensive. I wanted to replace my Oil pan gasket. Do the 94 geo prizm 1.6 L engines use a rubber gasket or a silicone gasket. For some reason the toyota dealer told me it was silicone but on rock auto I see they offer a rubber gasket. Any other places I can check for oil leaks? Or is there anything i can put in the engine to seal up oil leaks. The oil is leaking at a alarming rate. Or how do you know if it burns the oil that could be another reason for my oil consumption.
Looks like it's time to sell and get something else

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
If it's leaking at that rate, it should be everywhere and dripping. You can power wash the engine and then see where it's coming from. As mentioned above, it may be burning it.

Whatever you do, don't let it get two quarts low. Keep a check on it.

·
Registered
93 corolla
75 Posts
2 quarts isnt the end of the world, I usually put in about 4-5 quarts by the next oil change, so before I change my oil I .... well change my oil, oh well mine is leaking and burning oil as also my tranny is leaking fluid and my ac compressor is leaking, oh and power steering is leaking as well, I just keepem all filled up because I am trying to put up money to put in a blacktop and tranny swap in, instead of wasting money on a 276,000 mile engine. So decide if your engine is worth fixing and if not save up for a better one or sell the ride for a different one:lol:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol I think I feel better about my oil leak now after hearing your stories. Im pretty sure it doesn't burn it. It doesn't throw any kind of smoke. Ill just switch back to 20-50. What do you guys think of those additives for stop oil leak. Like the lucas brand? worth a shot or should i stay away? Its not point in selling it. Its a daily driver/ delivery car. Its not my sole means of transportation. I just want it to keep running and serving its purpose in life hehe.

·
TIEyota fighter ace
AE101, TE72
1,942 Posts
For what it's worth I've been burning a quart every 600 miles like clockwork for about 160,000 miles now. Doesn't seem to be getting much worse or much better no matter the viscosity of oil, brand of oil, additives (B12, MMO, piston soaks, Seafoam, running a quart of ATF, etc) or composition of oil (straight versus synthetic). Keep it topped off, throw a catch can in line with the PCV system to save your intake manifold and EGR valve from getting gunked up beyond all rational belief, and save for either an engine swap or a valve job / re-ringing.

·
Registered
93 corolla
75 Posts
Lucas oils stabilizer is great to add to your oil. add about 1 quart per 4. Do not use that stop smoke and crap like it, It will kill your motor.

·
Registered
239 Posts
try using Engine Restore, works wonders, seriously

also, try replacing the pcv valve, i noticed no more oil smell after longer trips when i replaced mine.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Restore will do nothing for a serious oil burning problem, particularly if it's not to do with your rings/cylinder walls.

Anyway I don't think it will stop the leak. The leak needs to be found and plugged.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already replaced the pcv valve did a full tune up a few weeks back. ill try the lucas stuff. It wont hurt to try i guess.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Restore will do nothing for a serious oil burning problem, particularly if it's not to do with your rings/cylinder walls.

Anyway I don't think it will stop the leak. The leak needs to be found and plugged.
yeah, what do i know, just positive results with personal experience. right.

mine WAS burning 2 quarts to every 5k miles, now its more like 1 quart...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts