Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
You make me stupid.
96 Camry
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this sounds familuar to anyone, but my camry all the suden does not want to go anymore. It feels like as I am going down the road and give it gas it is chokeing back a lot. It will not as I am driving or even at idle rev past 4k and I know this is not new...it has 143k on it.
A week ago the check engine light came on, then the other night a vaccume hose (that is all I can think of to call it, small hose with air movment with no liquid pasing through it) came loose. Huge suction sound when going down the road and gas was applied. I parked it, refitted the hose and the check engine light went out. No more suction sound but it now does the choke and limited rpm issue?
I know this is shakey at best, but does this sound like anything to anyone?

Oh, it is a 2.2 if that helps.

·
You make me stupid.
96 Camry
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did also want to state the intake box does sound a lil more awake, a lil louder in a sence. I did check all other hoses and lines, everything is on and tight. The air filter is fine as well. Clean and clear.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
take your car to auto zone have them read the codes in the computer. check over what ever it is (they might not be broken, the codes could be from the hose comming loose) oh even though the light is off the codes are still in the computer.

after that rest the computer and see if it returns to normal if not follow in to one of the codes

to reset the computer pull the EFI fuse under the hood for like 15 seconds.

·
You make me stupid.
96 Camry
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Maine the local places will only read your codes if the CEL is on. With it being off it is about a $50.

That is why I was hopeing someone had gone through this or had some idea's before I spend a bunch of money.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
If your car is a 92-95 4 cylinder (OBD1), you can read the codes yourself with a paperclip or a piece of wire. Use the stickey at the top of this forum for instructions. If it is a 96, it is OBD 2 compliant and you will have to go to a place like Autozone to have them read. You don't give the year of the car.

Mike

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
If you don't have Autozone in your area, call around to other auto parts stores to see if any of them read the codes for free. Tell them the light comes on periodically. OBD2 equiped cars will usually store the codes in the ECU until they are erased. I replaced a rear O2 sensor on my 98 Camry 5SFE engine a while back and the light went out after about 2 minutes of driving. I still had to go over to a friend's shop to have the code actually removed from the ECU. It was still there after the light had gone out. Some techs say it will erase itself after X number of restarts, but nobody seems to know what number X actually is.

Mike

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
as for the CEL youcan only get it by reading codes. as for teh bogging down and all at higher Rpm's check to make sure your distributor does not have oil in it. The seal for it can leak and if I rememebr correctly the oil inside the dist. will cause the problem you are explaining. You can also check to make sure that there is no oil standing in your spark plug tubes. Those are two of the most common problems that I can recall that cause the problem you have explained.

The only other thing I can think of is the timing is off somehow. maybe the belt slipped or stretched and now the timing is off.

·
You make me stupid.
96 Camry
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and to let ya all know, the two things they found wrong after all this time.

A: ERG vaulve gummed up.

B: Front CAT getting ready to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts