Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always thought my e-brake was kinda weak, started really playing with it and realized that it will NOT stop the car in an emergency.

Never had a weak e-brake before. Google search turns up different methods of repair for different cars.

Any Toyota/Corolla-specific weak e-brake knowledge? T.I.A.

·
Registered
93 toyota corolla
635 Posts
probaly the E-brake cable is slack trying tightening the cable by removing the center consil and using a 10mm spanner ( i think ) thighten the nut till you only hear 3 clicks when you pull the E-brake... i put mine at 2 clicks lol, also try adjusting you rear drum brakes first so that you will definately know that you E-brake will work efficently when you crank.

·
You asked for it...
401 Posts
^X2 - adjust the rear brakes and then the cable

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all.

rear brakes are out of adjustment or worn down to nothing.
Could very well be. Will pull em out this weekend.

·
Registered
'03 Sequoia
416 Posts
Thanks all.

Could very well be. Will pull em out this weekend.
Did you pull them out?

I had the same problem for a while that even tightening the adjusters (star wheels) on the back only solved for a short time. The REAL problem was from the self adjusters and star wheels. They had gotten so gummed up they would not move easy. I removed the assembly wire brushed everything real well and coated with copper anti-sieze and reassembled. Never had a problem after that. once removed you should be able to spin the star wheels VERY easily along the adjusting screw. The self adjuster does not have that much power and if you have a hard time so does it. I also used the anti-sieze everywhere the shoes touched the backing plate as well as all contact points associated.

I also had to loosen the cables back up at the e-brake lever so I could adjust the rears CORRECTLY. The initial tightening was to try and compensate from the problems above.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually since my fuel pump died and I've needed other crucial things such as new front tires I actually just bought the brake shoes the other day. When we do the motor mounts tomorrow we're also gonna do the brake shoes and hopefully also the front driver's side fender liner and the inner & outer passenger side door handles. I also have to put the passenger window back on the track while I'm in there. Tomorrow will be a big day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts