Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please I need help. My car started smoking after changing from mineral to synthetic oil.. should I be worried?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Yes.

You need to provide complete details, such as vehicle, engine, miles (or kilometres) on OD, oil change history including brand and viscosity of oil, whether the engine consumed any oil between oil changes with mineral oil, etc. Also need details on the new oil.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My 05 4cyl at 260k had a larger puff at start up with synthetic when I switched, so I immediately went back to dino oil. I run heavier oil than OEM and have less puff of smoke at start up overall. Really uses no oil just this puff at start up especially when it sits a while.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you've been using conventional oil for a while in a older vehicle it's not good to switch to synthetic. Old engines will have some buildup caused by the conventional oil, this works kind of like an additional seal in the engine. The synthetic oil's superior lubricity allows it to get pass this. My guess is that the synthetic oil is getting pass the piston rings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.. response where helpful. I spoke with an auto mechanic who said it's because of the synthetic oil I used but I should watch it because the smoke will disappear as the car is getting acclamatized to the synthetic oil. Lately the smoking i think has reduced but I'm still observing it.

The idling is perfect too and calm. Car is 04 toyota camry.

Thanks again all, you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Thanks all.. response where helpful. I spoke with an auto mechanic who said it's because of the synthetic oil I used but I should watch it because the smoke will disappear as the car is getting acclamatized to the synthetic oil. Lately the smoking i think has reduced but I'm still observing it.

The idling is perfect too and calm. Car is 04 toyota camry.

Thanks again all, you guys are awesome.
I would probably increase the viscosity of the oil if switching to a synthetic on a car of that age that was previously using conventional oil. But since you didn't provide any details on what oil you are currently using, it is hard to say for sure.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
If your engine continues to smoke, I would try a 10W-40 oil (or 0W-40 or 5W-40 if 10W-40 not available).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you dear Mark.. I'm super grateful to you for your concern. I hope to observe it more for few days and see what happens.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 2005 Camry V6 with 1mzfe engine has been using Synthetic oil since purchase with 5w30 Amsoil on the first 8 years and only a yearly change, then it was too expensive and it was very difficult to buy because the retail store no longer carry. I switch to Pennzoil Ultra and then Pennzoil Ultra Platinum also a yearly drain but I always use Fram Ultra synthetic oil filter. Car never smoke on start up, oil leak or oil consumption for an 15 years old car. Now it has around 370,000km or 230,000 miles on it and engine is pretty smooth and reliable.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
My 2005 Camry V6 with 1mzfe engine has been using Synthetic 5w30 Amsoil on the first 8 years and only a yearly change, then it was too expensive and it was very difficult to buy because the retail store no longer carry. I switch to Pennzoil Ultra and then Pennzoil Ultra Platinum also a yearly drain but I always use Fram Ultra synthetic oil filter. Car never smoke on start up, oil leak or oil consumption for an 15 years old car. Now it was around 370,000km or 230,000 miles on it and engine is pretty smooth and reliable.
A car that switches to synthetic after the first oil change will not likely have any problems with oil burning, or at least not because of using synthetic.

However, using conventional oil for many kilometers, and then switching to synthetic, can cause problems if there has been too much engine wear using the conventional oil. As already mentioned, this can sometimes be solved by using a higher viscosity synthetic when switching from conventional oil on an older engine.

·
Former TN Lurker
148 Posts
did you spill oil on your manifold, had a buddy freak out about his smoking car only for me to find out he poured too quickly and got some on his manifold

·
Registered
127 Posts
Synthetic may be getting by a seal or gasket dino oil will not seep past, I have 03 camry v 6 300,000 miles i do dino oil change every 5k oil does not leak or burn and engine purrs like a kitten. synthetic is over kill for most average motors, it is really for hotter running hot rods or super charged or turbo charged motors. My old twin turbo 300zx needed it as turbos will fry dino oil fast. But for most street cars dino oil is fine just use quality brand proper weight and change every 5k. Like I said 300,000 miles on dino oil and no issues at all. I found a place that will do oil and filter for 30 bucks and I stay clean LOL great deal and good insurance. At 5k interval I do maybe 3 changes a yr, less than 100 bucks and I do not have to even get dirty.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Some Toyotanation forum members live in some area where the winter is extremely cold (-35c to +40c / -31F to 102F) and very hot in summer ( Canadian Prairies, Ontario or Quebec), synthetic oil give an extra protection during winter cold start and the scorching heat from the summer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I agree with @RT27 with regard to synthetic oil being overkill in "daily motoring," though they do have longer service life and you can run them for quite a few more miles.

On another forum I frequent someone recently said this, "Synthetic oils were designed for high temperature use in jet engines, they have really no part in motoring, unless you want to make money." And that's also consistent with the observation about turbocharged/supercharged engines as well, which do involve higher temperatures.

As has been noted by many, synthetic oil does have the ability to creep in ways that are much like penetrating oils, though it is not technically meant as such.

Were I in the situation originally presented, I'd just go back to conventional oil a the next change. My change interval for conventional oil went to 6K between changes years ago, and having formal oil analyses done after that indicates that not only is that OK, but I could stretch out the interval even longer. The conventional oils of today are significantly better than those of even 15 years ago.

·
Registered
325 Posts
synthetic oil give an extra protection during winter cold start and the scorching heat from the summer.
I would encourage you to do some additional reading on oil film strength. The differences between modern conventional oil and synthetics for the situations you describe are minimal.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
On another forum I frequent someone recently said this, "Synthetic oils were designed for high temperature use in jet engines, they have really no part in motoring, unless you want to make money." And that's also consistent with the observation about turbocharged/supercharged engines as well, which do involve higher temperatures.
How does that person explain why Toyota, Honda, and virtually all luxury car manufactures require synthetic motor oil in their new vehicles? It doesn't explain it, and that is why that person has no idea what he is talking about.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I would encourage you to do some additional reading on oil film strength. The differences between modern conventional oil and synthetics for the situations you describe are minimal.
Film strength? There are no 0W-XX conventional motor oils, bud. A 0W-XX motor oil will have better cold weather starting capability than a 5W-XX motor oil.

·
Registered
325 Posts
@mark888,

And when did most manufacturers, including Toyota, start specifying 0W-XX oils?

The number of false beliefs about lubricants, and what they do, is immense. And if you believe that manufacturers don't get on "the marketing bandwagon" and use certain things because it's considered "the high class thing to do" rather than for any engineering reason, I have some oceanfront property in Omaha you should look at.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts