Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I was driving my car last night and it all of a sudden stalled. I checked under the hood and my battery had fallen off its stand and was resting against my exhaust manifold. I picked up the battery and moved it aside, with tons of sparks. My car now cranks, but wont turn over. Any ideas?

·
Pissed
Camry
665 Posts
Sparks? your ground came loose somewhere or something lol get a new battery tie down kit, or I could tell you a cool DIY tie down lol get back to me...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but my car still cranks, my radio and lights work with enough power. Also, I tried to jump it with my friends car last night, to no avail. Also, all fuses seem normal.....

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
thats exactly what my car did this weekend, would crank but not start, plenty of power everywhere.

hope its not the same thing as mine, the Igniter died on my car, those things are stupid expensive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
distributor maybe? where is the igniter?

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
I agree. The same thing happened when I had my dad's 91 Accord. Was going to merge into traffice, let out the clutch, gave it gas, and....... nothing. Engine died, thankfully on a side road and not on the four lane road I was turning onto. Tried to get a rolling start (5 speed), but didn't work. Had it towed to a local Honda shop. The ignitor and new ignition coil was about $285.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
What supposedly happend with mine was the Distributer shaft had a worn spot, and it wobbled out of place, which shorted out the igniter.

it was doing exactly as you described.

What year is your camry?

A new distributer is like $500 from Toyota, and iginter is like $390ish.

Pull the plug wires and check to see if you're getting spark. If not, then id bet it was one of those 2 things, if not both.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stevethecleric said:
What supposedly happend with mine was the Distributer shaft had a worn spot, and it wobbled out of place, which shorted out the igniter.

it was doing exactly as you described.

What year is your camry?

A new distributer is like $500 from Toyota, and iginter is like $390ish.

Pull the plug wires and check to see if you're getting spark. If not, then id bet it was one of those 2 things, if not both.
I have a 93.
Well if I don't have spark then how do I check the Distributer? If the distributer is fine how do I check the Ignitor?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no power to the plugs, have distributor cap off, how do I check power to the coil? Where is my damn ignitor? I have a chiltons but I cant find shit in it.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
doesnt sound good dude.

There isnt really a way to check the distributer.

I have a 3sfe, so i really dont know where stuff is on the 5sfe. The igniter might be in the distributer, but i really dont know. Chances are your coil is fine, ive never seen one that was COMPELETLY dead, and they dont really die suddenly.

Somewhere in your book, there should be a procedure for checking the coil and the igniter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
turns out it was my ignition coil. I just took it out of my dist. and took it in to have em test it.
Thx for your advice and input, I couldn't have done it without you guys!

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
that seems really stange. how did you go about testing the coil? like i said, i havent heard of one of those things just dying all the sudden.

·
422 Posts
heh, my whole ignition system took a shit right after I bought my car.

Junkyards are yoiur best friend... Got a new distributer and igniter for like $120.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stevethecleric said:
that seems really stange. how did you go about testing the coil? like i said, i havent heard of one of those things just dying all the sudden.
I took it to autozone they checked it for me
they took a multimeter and tested it. It didn't pass :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
LoneWolf said:
distributor maybe? where is the igniter?

Mine's an 1989 3sfe and the ignitor's mounted on the inboard end of the battery tray.

From shopping around, I've found that earlier models have the igniter (ignitor) mounted inside the distributor,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts