Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla 1.6. Last night I accidentally left my gas cap at a gas station. So, then went back but couldn't find it. Then my car stalled and died. My initial thought was that I had run out of gas and not realized it because there was no fuel pressure with the gas cap missing. Once I got to the gas station the car would not start again. The gas station was closed because of it being late at night. A stranger offered me a gallon of gas. The car would still not start after this so I went home taking a Uber. I got back to the gas station with starter fluid and fuel injector cleaner. Several strangers tried to help me start it to no avail. Then I noticed it was leaking power steering fluid really badly. A stranger offered to tow me back to my house. I figured out it was getting fuel but when I tested for spark there was none. The car cranks really fast and I cleaned the spark plugs and tried to air out the flooded engine. I replaced spark plugs, wires and distributor cap less than a year ago. What now?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it was cranking fast because I had a sparkplug pulled to test for spark so there was no compression in one cylinder. When I put it back in it cranked at normal speed. I replaced the ignition coil last night and that didn't do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You said it cranks really fast. Do you mean faster than normal? That and no spark points to a bad timing belt like other people said.
I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla 1.6. Last night I accidentally left my gas cap at a gas station. So, then went back but couldn't find it. Then my car stalled and died. My initial thought was that I had run out of gas and not realized it because there was no fuel pressure with the gas cap missing. Once I got to the gas station the car would not start again. The gas station was closed because of it being late at night. A stranger offered me a gallon of gas. The car would still not start after this so I went home taking a Uber. I got back to the gas station with starter fluid and fuel injector cleaner. Several strangers tried to help me start it to no avail. Then I noticed it was leaking power steering fluid really badly. A stranger offered to tow me back to my house. I figured out it was getting fuel but when I tested for spark there was none. The car cranks really fast and I cleaned the spark plugs and tried to air out the flooded engine. I replaced spark plugs, wires and distributor cap less than a year ago. What now?
Update--
It is getting spark to the rotor

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,042 Posts
Yes, scan for codes. Does the check engine light at least light up when key first turned to ON? IF so, your computer is probably getting power. If no codes come up then you will need to do some more investigating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, scan for codes. Does the check engine light at least light up when key first turned to ON? IF so, your computer is probably getting power. If no codes come up then you will need to do some more investigating.
When the ignition is on all the lights are on. But with the car running I'm getting no check engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update--
The car is now running but jerking horribly while accelerating. I took apart the cap again and the new rotor that I bought is partially melted. Along with white staining on it and the coil. What could've caused that? The new cap looked fine and everything was sitting on straight when I took it apart again. The bolts to the coil were still tight too.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,042 Posts
Weird. The contact in the center of the distributor cap is fine? It sounds like the spark is not making it to the plugs. Are all your grounds good? There is a ground wire near the pulleys from the head to the fender.

Aftermarket ignition coils can cause problems. What brand did you get?

Reactions: 94RollaDad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weird. The contact in the center of the distributor cap is fine? It sounds like the spark is not making it to the plugs. Are all your grounds good? There is a ground wire near the pulleys from the head to the fender.

Aftermarket ignition coils can cause problems. What brand did you get?
The cap still looks brand new. I checked the ground u mentioned and the wires to the coil again but everything was tight and good. The new coil, cap and rotor that I bought are all Duralast

1 - 20 of 31 Posts