Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Megan Exhaust
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i came home from work today and i decided to go work out. It was raining on and off. So when i got out of the gym it was pouring! As i was driving home the streets started getting flooded so i turned around and went another way as i didnt want to go through the flood. So i go around some streets and everything is flooded. Im thinking hey mazda 6 went threw it like w/e and so did a camry and alot of small cars. so i decide to go and out of nowere in the middle of the street my car gives out. The engine stalls. Im thinking hey it might have just stalled. So i push the clutch in and the car wont turn over at all. I call my dad and he hauled my car with his truck home. I think my car got hydrolocked. :( WTF!! So now i have to wait till tomorrow, hopefully it stops raining and my car is dried that way i can see if it turns on. :sosad::ugh3:

Do you guys think it might have hydrolocked? I mean the flood was like in the middle of the front bumper. Im stupid for going through it. Will the cars warranty cover it if the engine wont turn? I have full cover insurance as well.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
really sorry to hear that man. hard to believe it got hydrolocked if the flood was only in the middle of the front bumper level becuase the stock intake pipe is on the left side facing sideways..kinda hard for it to suck in water at that water level.....u dont have a Cold air intake do you? if you do then yes big possibility it got hydrolocked. insurance should cover it. but not sure about the warranty coverage....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wouldn't say your stupid. A bit impulsive and willing to take a risk would be a better description.

forresta

PS: if you do it again you can call it stupid.

·
Megan Exhaust
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have a cold air intake but i did do the diy cai and it did suck up alot of water. the air filter in the box was soaked. :( will the car be totaled?

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
I do not have a cold air intake but i did do the diy cai and it did suck up alot of water. the air filter in the box was soaked. :( will the car be totaled?
I am not sure whether your car will be total or not! But pretty sure your warranty will be void since the part you modded or replace has a direct relation to the damage part! If u keep the intake stock, you won't hydrolock your engine!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
ahh that sucks bro...well the engine is toast and i dont know about the repair work for it....and i dont think toyota warranty will cover the engine because of the CAI....maybe ur insurance will cover it....hopefully other members can suggest something better but that's all i can say for now...just wait and see what the others have to say....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
even if the factory was stock, toyota probably won't honor the warranty because it was in a flood.

hyrodlocking the engine isn't that bad...i'd rather do that than short out the electrical system and fry the ecu.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i think its hydrolocked, but maybe you can check for electrical damage due to shorts or blown fuses:confused:??

If the engine is toast. I think it would be cheaper for you to swap in another engine rather than fix it. There might be some wrecked 09's that you can get a 1.8 from, while the 2.4's might be easier to find.

·
boo.hoo.hoo.
1,498 Posts
I am not sure whether your car will be total or not! But pretty sure your warranty will be void since the part you modded or replace has a direct relation to the damage part! If u keep the intake stock, you won't hydrolock your engine!
There's no way that the insurance company would total a new car from something like this. However, I doubt that warranty will cover this-- its not failure of a part, its negligence of the driver.

·
Megan Exhaust
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys i got the car running. I pulled all the spark plugs from the car and cranked it like 4xs it spat out all the water and then gasoline was coming out so i stopped it. cleaned it all of. But the problem is that i was running without the air filter and the car was bogging. so im going tomorrow to buy a new filter and some oil so i can do an oilchange. might ass well buy the oil filter aswell. so im gonna do a whole tune up. The car was running fine until i turned it off and then i tried driving it again but it would bogg and the radio was giving me some type of code im guess cuz of the airfilter not on it. The car was backfiring like crazy.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
just a precaution, dry everything up before starting your car again. use a blow dryer or anything that can blow away any water. make sure everything is dry. use a rag or towel.

·
Poor Lil Tink Tink
19 Posts
So i came home from work today and i decided to go work out. It was raining on and off. So when i got out of the gym it was pouring! As i was driving home the streets started getting flooded so i turned around and went another way as i didnt want to go through the flood. So i go around some streets and everything is flooded. Im thinking hey mazda 6 went threw it like w/e and so did a camry and alot of small cars. so i decide to go and out of nowere in the middle of the street my car gives out. The engine stalls. Im thinking hey it might have just stalled. So i push the clutch in and the car wont turn over at all. I call my dad and he hauled my car with his truck home. I think my car got hydrolocked. :( WTF!! So now i have to wait till tomorrow, hopefully it stops raining and my car is dried that way i can see if it turns on. :sosad::ugh3:

Do you guys think it might have hydrolocked? I mean the flood was like in the middle of the front bumper. Im stupid for going through it. Will the cars warranty cover it if the engine wont turn? I have full cover insurance as well.
Sorry to hear about the car man, its been really terrible around town

·
Registered
25 Posts
You will probably wanna check all your fluids for water as well, and change the plugs. Also, anything you can use that would displace the water (ether, what ever), would be a major help as well.

Dont feel bad, I did the same thing to my 06 Corolla, only I bent a valve. Still ran though, once I managed to get it started.

·
Megan Exhaust
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You will probably wanna check all your fluids for water as well, and change the plugs. Also, anything you can use that would displace the water (ether, what ever), would be a major help as well.

Dont feel bad, I did the same thing to my 06 Corolla, only I bent a valve. Still ran though, once I managed to get it started.
I got the car running good other than i hear a knocking noise. Its not horrible like a tick tick tick tick....I thnk i might have a slightly bent piston rod. Does anyone know how much it'll be to replace all of them?

The car is running perfect other than that. Well i guess not perfect since its making that noise. But it runs great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got the car running good other than i hear a knocking noise. Its not horrible like a tick tick tick tick....I thnk i might have a slightly bent piston rod. Does anyone know how much it'll be to replace all of them?

The car is running perfect other than that. Well i guess not perfect since its making that noise. But it runs great.
I almost bet its a valve or lifter thats making the sound. My 06 did the same thing, and still does a little bit.

To replace a valve, it would probably be $1200ish, not counting parts. If its your piston rods, it would be even more.

Of course, if your piston rod is bent, then you could possibly be doing even more damage to the cylinder walls, bearings, and maybe even the piston and rings.

If you do it yourself, then it would probably be roughly $70 per piston rod, or maybe $10-15 per valve. Plus whatever tools you would need, plus new fluids, etc. (based on the prices for 08 engine parts)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
bring your car to a mechanic to analyze the sound for an appropriate solution.

·
Saloon Fanatic
Mr2
709 Posts
I would clean the mess up, (fluids, spark plugs) and have the dealer diagnose the issue. They may cover it, you never know depending on the dealer.
If your willing to tackle it, then get someone to diagnose it properly, and then cost out the parts and tools needed to do it. Factor in an extra 20% for extras.
If you are at the point where it isn't covered or you have something internally bent/damaged, you may want to look around in the wreckers for a used motor. As its an 10th gen, it may not be worth it, but I know there is a 06 1zz here for 900 bucks complete locally.
You can use your old motor for a rebuild if you want, but the new motor may be less in the end then what the repairs to the old one are estimated at.

·
Megan Exhaust
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK well i was driving it and the engine sorta went KABLOOM!! :sosad: A lot of smoke came out of the exhaust and then all the oil spilled. The car shook violently and i had to bring it to a stop. The car is now at the dealership and they well give me an answer to wether the insurance will cover it or how much it'll be cash.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts