Toyota Nation Forum banner

car wash in the Scarborough/Markham area?

3316 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  mcgill_redmen
Can anyone recommend some car washes in the Scarborough/Markham area - between Ellsemere and Steeles and Warden to Markham Road? I drive through the centre of this area to get to work so would prefer places not towards the extremeties.

Anyway, just looking for coin-operated car washes or bargain basement touchless car washes that I can clean off the winter stuff.

CFTO had a coin wash featured on the news during the weather but they didn't say which intersection in Markham it was located at, just that there were cars lined up to clean their cars off.

That is, I have been saving up my touchless car washes from my visits to fill-up at the Esso to the spring when the car washes will last longer and just looking to clean off the snow and salt, etc.

What are your thoughts on the touchless car washes? I figure the Esso's are better than Petro Canada since they don't have brushes swirling around your car and leaving those nice swirelys :sosad: on your paint.

What about the high pressure water on the car's paint too? Scratch the paint? I gues this is the same as the coin op car washes as they blast water out at the same speed, etc. :confused:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
451 Posts
I can't help you on wash locations in Ontario... But wanted to mention something about a topic you've touched on, car washes and damage to your vehicle.

The "touchless" car washes are touchless for a reason... If you think about it a little bit, you're substituting elbo-grease (the mechanical scrubbing motion) for what? What would be available that would "eat" dirt right off your car and you don't need to touch it?

Chemicals - If you're OK with that then go for the touchless car washes, but be forewarned that since they use chemicals, they also re-use wash water, so not only are they using chemicals to wash your car, they're using everyone elses dirt.

So then there's the power wash - This in my opinion is best stop gap for winter driving. Provided you don't put the nozzel directly on the paint or hit the car with the wand power washes are OK for a "rinse and run." But they really don't get the car clean unless you want to scrub and whatever you do, don't use the brush that everyone else has dragged through the gravel/sand etc.

So what to do when it's winter and the car is dirty?

Personally - I find the most luxurious/expensive car wash in town and just ask for the 'exterior only' wash to save $$. These places have the octopus style wash-brushes and will not leave swirls on the paint, but will get the car cleaner than touchless, spray wand, or regular bristle brush wash. Doing this once a week or every other week for a couple of months keeps my car clean and free of damage.

As the weather breaks (or sometimes when it's still cold) I wash my car by hand in my driveway... Something I added to my garage to make this an easier task, I added a hot and cold water faucet. Even below freezing I can wash my car and drain the hose just as I normally would if it were 80 degrees out. Additionally, the hot water outlet allows me to just rinse the salt and snow away if it's pretty cold and sloppy out still without needing a stack of quarters!

· SEcond Rate Products
408 Posts
Camread said:
how much do those high-end places charge for the exterior only wash? how do you know it doesn't leave any swirls? you have silver cars..... :)
I wanted to say that, but refrained :p

You can only really see swirl in all its horror on black, or other dark, non-metallic painted cars.

Metalic paints and any paint that is bright or vibrant hide it pretty well.

and just waxing your car often can keep the swirl to a minimum even in the worst case scenario (non metalic black)

· Registered
451 Posts
Camread said:
how much do those high-end places charge for the exterior only wash? how do you know it doesn't leave any swirls? you have silver cars..... :)
Yeah, I tend to stick to silver, white and red for that very reason... While I think darker colors look good, especially black, I think they're about as useful colors on daily driver as a screen door is on a submarine. The colors I mentioned stay "cleaner" longer too!

But... The wash shops I'm talking about are the "dedicated" non-franchise (at least not prominent national brand franchise) that specialize in detailing but happen to have an automatic wash. The one I go to uses chamois that doesn't "spin" and it has optical sensors (not the wheel rolling up your hood), they towel dry it and do the door jambs... These type of places are difficult to find, but when you do find one you'll notice the caliber of vehicles using the place also goes up, they're "that" good.

Here's the place I use... As you can tell from the website, pretty ma & pop-ish type place, they thrive on doing a good job and not damaging vehicles.

http://www.cleanimagecarwash.com/index.htm

· Registered
25 Posts
i'm looking to get a camry when the 08 models come out and i haven't decided on the color.

while i currently have silver on my 2004 camry, i'm thinking about the dark blue. since black shows "swirls" and scratches easily, how does the dark blue stack up? does it hide imperfections/dirt as well as silver or is it more towards black?

· Registered
2002 Camry
2,241 Posts
What are your thoughts on the touchless car washes? I figure the Esso's are better than Petro Canada since they don't have brushes swirling around your car and leaving those nice swirelys :sosad: on your paint.
We have a car wash at work. It used to be "touchless" kind, but now it is the type that has brushes again. I know all about it, because it was and is my job to keep it running.
This thing used 5 different chemicals to do its job, and ALL of them had warning labels saying "avoid contact with skin." I think they were all diluted acid of one sort or another, judging from the odor. I washed hundreds of cars with this touchless wash, and it did a marginal job at best. Everyone complained that their car was not clean enough. The machine itself was a maintenance nightmare, but forget that - it just didnt work well enough.

I live in California where it almost never freezes, so im not sure how a touchless car wash would function in Canada. Probably better than nothing if you can rinse some of the salt off. But in my experience, it wont clean your car very well, at all. But like i said, maybe better than nothing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.