Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 Toyota Camry Wagon, v6 1MZ-FE engine.
The old timing belt slipped and it was torn up and stopped working. Installed a new one, also replaced the front main seal while I was at it. After putting it all together, it won't start. The engine keeps turning and turning, but won't start.

-The Crank, and both cam gears are pointing at their designated time marks.
-I checked the sparks plugs and watched them spark, so that's working.
-I can hear the fuel pump working.

I don't know what to think.

Also, I can't check the check engine light, I found 2, maybe 3 diagnostic ports!

1. A rectangular one under the hood next to the air intake manifold.
2. A round one under the steering wheel.
and maybe a 3rd one, a trapezoid one inside the driver side compartment, next to some fuses.

Either way, I've read to jump E1 to TE1, then turn the key on, and it should flash the codes.
I've done that with both and I get nothing.
I did jump E1 with TE2 on the 1st one under the hood, and the light just flashes rather rapidly, constantly.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1987 Celica ST
260 Posts
This is just a stab in the dark from what you've listed and my past experiences. I would make sure that all of the wiring connections had been reconnected. It may just be a ground or the crank position sensor that didn't get reconnected. Hope this helps.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
94 v6 with 1mz-fe engine is the first vehicle equip with odb 2 port, it is the trapezoid one inside coil holder, i think, on driver side. use a regular odb2 scanner will give you the code, at least, mine does.

i would double check the timing mark again, and also make sure the ground wire is reconnected.
you can check spark, fuel, and air, if all 3 are working, it must be your timing belt is off by 2 or 3 teeth.
(if it is off by 1 tooth, i think still start, but you can feel it is engine is not right, and more vibration)

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,066 Posts
94 Toyota Camry Wagon, v6 1MZ-FE engine.
The old timing belt slipped and it was torn up and stopped working. Installed a new one, also replaced the front main seal while I was at it. After putting it all together, it won't start. The engine keeps turning and turning, but won't start.

-The Crank, and both cam gears are pointing at their designated time marks.
Did you make sure the marks lined up again after a full crank rotation (720*)? That check ensures you were indeed at TDC/compression on cylinder 1. If they don't line up again, you have to reset the belt. I rotated my engine a full 3 times to make sure, and each time they lined up. Did you install the cam gears on the correct cylinder head? The cam gear with its lip facing outward goes on the rear bank, while the one facing inward goes on the front bank.

I'd say the mechanical timing is off. The ECU won't throw codes until the engine starts (for self-check related issues) or at ignition on if a sensor is unplugged. That's about all you can get out of the OBDII port.

·
Registered
2015 Camry SE
327 Posts
Double check to be sure the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC compression and not TDC exhaust.

·
Registered
1987 Celica ST
260 Posts
Double check to be sure the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC compression and not TDC exhaust.
On the crank it doesn't matter ... TDC is TDC ... it makes no difference to the timing as there is only one TDC with all pistons in the same position as if you rotate it once more, twice more, doesn't matter.

Think of it as setting a clock (with hands) at 12 o'clock with both hands on the 12. It doesn't matter to your clock whether you mean 12 am or 12 pm, that clock is going to be read as "12 o'clock" every 12 hours, with both hands in the correct position for 12 am or pm.

Tracy

·
Registered
2015 Camry SE
327 Posts
There is a TDC on compression stroke and TDC on exhaust stroke. Here is a little from the Haynes manual. "Continue turning the crankshaft until the notch in the crankshaft damper is aligned with the TDC mark on the front cover. At this point number one cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. If the marks aligned but there was no compression, the piston was on the exhaust stroke. Continue rotating the crankshaft 360-degrees (1-turn)." The timing belt could be installed with the crankshaft on the exhaust stroke instead of compression.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,338 Posts
There is a TDC on compression stroke and TDC on exhaust stroke.
Only when cam is connected to crankshaft via belt. If you are turning the crank without the timing belt there is only one TDC, the cam determines compression or exhaust.

·
Registered
1987 Celica ST
260 Posts
Only when cam is connected to crankshaft via belt. If you are turning the crank without the timing belt there is only one TDC, the cam determines compression or exhaust.
Like I said .... as long as the crank mark read TDC at all (and he aligned the cam mark simultaneously) it should be in time. My money is on a wire ...ground or crank position sensor.

Tracy

·
Registered
2015 Camry SE
327 Posts
Both of you guys are correct. I was assuming thet the belt was installed. Thanks for the correction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts