Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh... Okay so I took the dash apart so I could format my SD card on the GPS, i've done it several times before (troubleshooting). I just pull out the bottom console/storage bin (also the headphone jack) and the module above that which is where the AC controls are.
I do what I need to, put it back together then radio wont turn on, I try to start the car fully and then I get the screen that says Check Brake System, then it will change to Check SRS Airbag system and go back and forth. If I try to start the car it just goes to the Check brake message. The AC is "on" but I get no lights on it and cant turn it up, down, off etc. The radio will not power on at all, although it still beeps when I push the on button. WHAT HAPPENED!!! Ugh, this is crazy...So here is what I tried so far.
I checked a few fuses in the floor panel and under the hood (the AC ones and a few others).
I unplugged 12v battery to "reset" itself and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
I took out cluster again and checked connections (only 2 or 3 cables to power the two consoles).
PLEASE help me!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, tried that. I tried neutral and it said put it in park, then in park it says check brake. I did recall this though...As I was working I had the radio in the car on the whole time and then was airing up the tires on another car while I was waiting for my SD card to be done copying etc..anyway, the radio did turn off and that's when things went downhill I think. I think that the 12v battery might have died, or got really really low - so its charging now, hoping that helps. I noticed when I tried to roll the windows up all the lights dimmed and started flashing a little bit. So hoping that's all it needs, dead battery causing flaky results?
So does the 12v battery run everything that a standard car does, the hybrid battery doesn't run anything except the drivetrain - just curious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew - disaster is over, for the most part! So I charged up the battery and plugged everything back in and everything seems to be happy. My GPS even started working which is great!
The ONLY issue now is...the strangest issue ive seen a long time... The drivers window!
If I push the down button where it will automatically go down it just goes down an inch and stops. If I push the up button to automatically go up, it will go all the way up, then go down about 1/3 of the way and stop! If I push the button "softley" where its not inducing the "auto roll" function, I can roll it all the way up to the top and it wont automatically roll back down. If I push softly to go down, it only goes down an inch or so, but never will get down more than 1/5th of the way down!
Can I be the first to say - What the hell!?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Roll up all windows. Disconnect battery for 1 minute. Reconnect. Manually roll all the way down and then up. Then, test the auto feature. Not sure if this is going to work.

Windows needs to be reinitialized. Maybe its in the owners manual but I haven't looked because that would require reading. But, if there is a Toyota tech out there, post the procedure. Yeah, cars are too complex. Can't make a simple power window anymore.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Roll up all windows. Disconnect battery for 1 minute. Reconnect. Manually roll all the way down and then up. Then, test the auto feature. Not sure if this is going to work.

Windows needs to be reinitialized. Maybe its in the owners manual but I haven't looked because that would require reading. But, if there is a Toyota tech out there, post the procedure. Yeah, cars are too complex. Can't make a simple power window anymore.
You're probably correct in that the window needs to be reinitialized. Not sure on the process for the window but I've had a tech tell me that before.

And from experience, if the OP has a sunroof the same thing holds true. You'll need to hold the button one way until it goes through the whole process and stops (the whole process being opening and closing BOTH tilt and slide while holding the button only one direction...like for slide only). If you let up on that button before it's done doing both the open and tilt, then you'll have to start over. Once that's done it too will be reinitialized allowing you to just push the button once.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That didnt work, I am going to post a new topic since its a separate issue. But wow - that battery really screwed things up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
SRS light on, Brake light on, Engine light on -Vehicle won't start

The battery is the issue. You may first have the Brake issue light, if you keep trying to start the vehicle you will get the SRS Airbag light, then the ECU if you don't stop.
Disconnect the battery, clean the post, Reconnect everything, TURN OFF headlight, radio, AC/Heater and anything else that is not needed to start the vehicle. Then connect a battery jumper box or cables to the vehicle to get it some extra power. It will start!
The battery will appear that it is good with the lights inside the car on and lit up but the AMPS on the battery are failing. -- IF this does not work, the KEY FOB also will act the same way for these light and codes if the battery is low on this device. Be sure to install a new key fob battery if the vehicle battery does not get you started. The key fob battery can be dead and you need to hold it up against the push button as you apply the brake and then the vehicle will start. Listen for the beep first, then press the button for starting the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gosh. I've had my car into the dealer twice - Planet Toyota in Matteson IL. Today will be the 3rd time and they cannot duplicate this problem.

After changing the battery, did you every experience the issue again? I told them about what I read here, and they did not listen.

The dealer insists my battery is fine and is NOT the issue.

??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this post! I just had the same exact experience with my Highlander hybrid. First happened a couple days ago and I blamed it on my husband's not waiting for the "ready" signal to appear before putting the car in gear (he rarely uses this vehicle). I went out later and it started just fine; went to town, etc. with no problem. Happened again this morning, this time to me, and I knew I hadn't done anything wrong. Computer message was to take vehicle to dealer for servicing. We checked the battery and it registered 9.6. Sheesh. We bought this car used and so had no idea how old the battery was and hadn't noticed any idiot light notification of impending failure, although we may have missed that. I can't help wondering how many people have their highlanders towed in for service when the ABS failure displays and car won't start. Would be nice if the computer were capable of saying something like "check battery" instead, don't you think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me last night when I got back into my 2008 Highlander hybrid after eating dinner out. It started acting up a few times a few days ago with the brake and ABS warning but i was able to start it after a couple of tries. Last night was another story because I got a number of other warnings and my radio and AC system wouldn't even function. I think I need to get the 12v battery replaced. Do I have to take it to the dealership for the replacement?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had added taken apart dash of 2010 Highlander to add bluetooth and had ABS, Brake, Airbag warning, no starter motor and dash lit up like Christmas tree.
Power windows, heat, AC, sunroof, wipers , power side mirrors, wiper fluid heater, and radio all dead.
Tried jumping but no luck. Turned out to be number 10 fuse blown, under the drivers dash which is a POA to get to,
Always disconnect battery before working in dash, I learned the hard way. Thought I would post in case anyone else encounters this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts