Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I hope you’re doing well. This is my second post in here, the first one was about some issues I had with a Highlander, however I was able to solve the problem successfully thanks to he community in the forum. So here I am again asking for your help... I have a Camry 12 that’s always been running good until a few days ago. I tried turning the car on, however the only thing that happened when I pressed the ignition button was a weird loud electrical noise, I’m pretty sure it’s the starter engine. The weird thing is that the car's battery is fine (I think it's fine)... radio, windows and headlights, all work properly. Problem is, you can’t start the engine whatsoever. I’ll attach a video of the sound coming from the engine bay. (I suspect it’s the starter engine, however I’m no expert). It’s very important to mention that my Highlander ran out of battery just before this problme started and I used the Camry to jump start it, so I’m certain that messed the Camry's voltage. I’ve jump started many cars before and this is the first time something like this happens... don’t know if I did something wrong, but I’m pretty sure that’s the case.

Anyways... the Camry does start when you jump start it using the Highlander, however when you try to start it on some hours later, it just won’t, it makes that weird sound, and the engine doesn’t even crank. I wouldn’t discard the battery as the source of the problem... maybe it’s low enough to start the engine but has enough charge to operate all the electronics inside. Maybe the battery recharging thing isn’t working anymore. As I told you before, I’m no expert.

I would appreciate your help and knowledge, getting this fixed. These days have been rough with the COVID thing going on... so I don’t want to take the car to the workshop and end up paying a good amount of money.

Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone that stops by and reads this.

Link to the video showing the weird noise coming from the car as you try to start it.

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
5,687 Posts
Can you check the battery voltage? How old is the battery ?
Since you can jump start it with the HL it sound like the battery is not holding a good enough charge anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you check the battery voltage? How old is the battery ?
Since you can jump start it with the HL it sound like the battery is not holding a good enough charge anymore.
If i'm not mistaken, the battery should be 3/4 years old... and no, unfortunately i don't have the tools to check its voltage.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi everyone. I hope you’re doing well. This is my second post in here, the first one was about some issues I had with a Highlander, however I was able to solve the problem successfully thanks to he community in the forum. So here I am again asking for your help... I have a Camry 12 that’s always been running good until a few days ago. I tried turning the car on, however the only thing that happened when I pressed the ignition button was a weird loud electrical noise, I’m pretty sure it’s the starter engine. The weird thing is that the car's battery is fine (I think it's fine)... radio, windows and headlights, all work properly. Problem is, you can’t start the engine whatsoever. I’ll attach a video of the sound coming from the engine bay. (I suspect it’s the starter engine, however I’m no expert). It’s very important to mention that my Highlander ran out of battery just before this problme started and I used the Camry to jump start it, so I’m certain that messed the Camry's voltage. I’ve jump started many cars before and this is the first time something like this happens... don’t know if I did something wrong, but I’m pretty sure that’s the case.

Anyways... the Camry does start when you jump start it using the Highlander, however when you try to start it on some hours later, it just won’t, it makes that weird sound, and the engine doesn’t even crank. I wouldn’t discard the battery as the source of the problem... maybe it’s low enough to start the engine but has enough charge to operate all the electronics inside. Maybe the battery recharging thing isn’t working anymore. As I told you before, I’m no expert.

I would appreciate your help and knowledge, getting this fixed. These days have been rough with the COVID thing going on... so I don’t want to take the car to the workshop and end up paying a good amount of money.

Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone that stops by and reads this.

Link to the video showing the weird noise coming from the car as you try to start it.
Clean battery terminals first.
Are both Camry and Highlander not starting?
So when the Camry last ran, did you drive a few miles or just shut it off? Switch batteries with the Highlander.
If you crank the Camry at night, do the headlights just about go out?
Recharge batteries, try again.

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
5,687 Posts
OP says, HL runs, Camry doesn't do zip without a jump from HL.
No meter, no charger!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clean battery terminals first.
Are both Camry and Highlander not starting?
So when the Camry last ran, did you drive a few miles or just shut it off? Switch batteries with the Highlander.
If you crank the Camry at night, do the headlights just about go out?
Recharge batteries, try again.
the Highlander is runing fine.
When the Camry last ran, i drove it for 45 mins, around 10 miles, then i waited like 6 hours before turning it on again. it didn´t crank and made the same noise.
It seems the headlights are a little dim when you switch them on, however i haven't tried that when it's dark. i'll give it a try today.
Wouldn't the be a problem if i switch batteries with the HL? Maybe the Camry could discharge the Highlander's battery as well. I don't know.
I think i'll just get a new battery. they're not that expensive, around 160 dls

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Highlander jump starting the Camry, proves the Camry starter is OK.

If the Highlander batter is full charge, put it in the Camry, and if it stays charged, and able to start again 6 hours later, it proves that the (original) Camry battery has a bad cell in the battery. I suggested checking at night because you can see the headlights get brighter while running, which proves the charging system is working. You can unhook the battery to make sure there is no electrical discharge like a glovebox light on.

Put the Camry battery in the Highlander to see if the problem is with the battery...to double check

It would help if you had a battery charger, but if it means that you can only afford a battery charger or a battery for the Camry, then try everything else first.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
If you can jump start the car, your battery is dead

Is it dead because its old and tired?
Is it dead because the alternator is fried?

You need to jumpstart car and measure the running voltage. If the alternator is charging, then replace the battery.

If the alternator isn't charging, you replace the alternator(or rebuild it). Always charge the battery fully prior to using new alternator.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE
178 Posts
Even though electrical accessories like lights, radio, etc may work, the battery might still require replacement since it needs MUCH more current to run the starter motor. Also, make sure battery terminals and connections are clean and secure. A little bit of extra resistance from corrosion can kill the starting current path. If the Highlander battery will start the Camry without fail, it's time to replace the Camry battery. I had to replace the original battery in mine two(?) years ago making it 3-4 years old so it's possible it's time for you to do the same thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry
562 Posts
I agree with Greasymechtech. My guess is you need a new battery. And it could also be the alternator. Of course, the alternator normally triggers the battery light on the dashboard.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Batteries can last longer. But, many are just adequate after several years. I have one car, with GDI, that will not start with a weak battery but can crank nice and fast.... Once it hits a certain voltage/current limit, that car surrenders to the battery.

Battery life comes down to battery quality(which is hit or miss), driving styles, and weather conditions.

Too many owners have battery problems and refuse to do anything about besides posting threads on forums and then debate the thread, or start 20 more threads on the same problem.

This issue is easy to troubleshoot. Its not rocket science like having to tie your own shoes.

·
Administrator
13,874 Posts
If you like walking home or to work, try letting your battery last 6 years. That will help.
I’ve had batteries last 2 years, and I’ve had them last 12 years. There is no “schedule” for battery life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts