Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6 XLE
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have a 1996 Toyota Corolla DX with 213,928 km, automatic trans.

This early morning, waking and when I went out to try and start the car, the car won't start.

The battery is fine because I checked the lights and they are bright, and radio is working. I even tried to get my neighbor to help me boost (just in case) but still didn't start.

When I my neighbor to turn the key, I hear the starter make clicking sound when standing at the motor.

Spark plugs, distributer and wires were replace 1 year ago, I bought the things from the dealership.

What else should I check??

thanks,
Chris

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
The first thing I'd check is the alternator belt. Make sure that it's tensioned correctly and isn't worn or snapped. Then check that the wiring harness for the alternator is secured tightly, and not burnt or cut in any way. If everything checks out ok then it's time to test it with a digital multimeter.

With the engine off, connect the multimeter to the battery terminals and make sure you have at least 12 volts. Now start the engine and check the battery voltage again. It should be between 13.5 to 15.1 volts. Now turn on the headlights. The voltage should drop and then come back up if the charging system is working properly. If not, then your alternator is probably faulty.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6 XLE
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend and I this morning changed my alternator, after the change I got the car to start.

thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts