Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Corolla Wagon
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've been drifting around the forums for a few weeks now, I work at an online school and it is extremely slow, like hours of sitting doing nothing. I've been reading through build threads and such, and love these forums! Anyway...

I have a 1996 Corolla Wagon ae102, auto. Since I bought it a few months ago, I've been doing all my own maintenance, and "upgrades". Since this is my first car, I'm pretty new to the maintenance, and have done things ranging from oil changes to struts to axles, even a thermostat. The fist "performance" (lol) upgrade I did was attempt to install a Cherry Bomb muffler. So, I cut off the muffler since I couldn't get the bolts off, and used that heat tape stuff to attach it. It was fine for a few months, but then fell off. I figured it's easier to just buy a catback exhaust and install the whole thing.

Well, yesterday I finish up an oil change and get under the car, and notice the nuts for the catalytic converter are totally gunked up. I attatched pictures below. Any idea of how to clean those up enough to get them off? I would prefer to not just cut the pipes, in case installation is a pain (I'm sure it will be). And also, does anyone know the wrench size and type for the O2 sensors? I have up to a 17 but it didn't fit. Thanks in advance! Oh and expect me to be active in these forums, at least as long as work is slow :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,390 Posts
Burn it off and replace them. They ain't coming out. If you don't got heat, take it to a muffler shop. That or struggle for a very long time. Same thing may happen with the O2 Sensor unless it was changed recently. My O2 Sensor was "baked" and rusted into the threads and the bolt face of the sensor ended up getting stripped with the threads that my cousin had to re-thread the hole after heating up the sensor. I ain't talking about propane heat, I am talking about the actual gas and O2 (whatever a shop uses) dual tank mixture.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Corolla Wagon
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PB-Blaster is your friend. Soak them overnight and you can remove bolts with just bare fingers!

That's what my friend recommended, he recommended I do it a few times a day for like a week and then attempt it! Another friend also suggested using baking soda and vinegar for the cat bolts but idk will that work?

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Vinegar will work to slightly remove rust. But baking soda will neutralize it before it's had chance to do any work. Nah, just soak with PB-blaster overnight. Perhaps heat gent!y with torche. Then soak again.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
That's what my friend recommended, he recommended I do it a few times a day for like a week and then attempt it! Another friend also suggested using baking soda and vinegar for the cat bolts but idk will that work?
That is another route you can take. It just takes time and potentially jacking up your car each time. I prefer to just have it burnt off because I don't have the time or even the right tools. Just a benefit of having a cousin who works in my former shop.

·
Registered
1996 Corolla Wagon
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is another route you can take. It just takes time and potentially jacking up your car each time. I prefer to just have it burnt off because I don't have the time or even the right tools. Just a benefit of having a cousin who works in my former shop.

I'm going to do some research on shops, I assume it is pretty cheap to have them just burn off the bolts. I would have them just install it themselves but that's probably more than I even payed for the exhaust itself :facepalm:

·
Registered
1996 Corolla Wagon
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vinegar will work to slightly remove rust. But baking soda will neutralize it before it's had chance to do any work. Nah, just soak with PB-blaster overnight. Perhaps heat gent!y with torche. Then soak again.
Makes sense... thanks! I'm going to keep doing that and see how it works out

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,051 Posts
I was faced with this on another car one time, and just went to a muffler shop and had them remove the old bolts and install new ones, so I could get it apart and do a clutch.

·
Registered
1996 Corolla Wagon
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: The shop is asking upwards of $50 to replace the bolts. Ridiculous! I'm planning on removing them myself, but does anyone know if the DNA Motoring Catback exhaust is a direct fit to the stock cat?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
$50 is cheap, not many people will work for cheap. Up to you in the end if you want to struggle with it. I personally don't got the time, tools, or another vehicle to do this myself.

·
Toyota Collector
11,823 Posts
Update: The shop is asking upwards of $50 to replace the bolts. Ridiculous! I'm planning on removing them myself, but does anyone know if the DNA Motoring Catback exhaust is a direct fit to the stock cat?
How much would you do the job for?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
How much would you do the job for?
A better question might have to be: How much does the tools and materials cost?

If I could've replaced my B1S2 O2 sensor myself I would, instead my cousin had to heat, remove, and retap the threads. If I could've removed my exhaust myself to install my Megan Racing Catback I would, instead my cousin burned those bolts off. Struggle here or struggle there. It's your choice in the end.

·
Registered
1996 Corolla Wagon
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$50 is cheap, not many people will work for cheap. Up to you in the end if you want to struggle with it. I personally don't got the time, tools, or another vehicle to do this myself.

Just to remove the bolts? I'm thinking I could find some way to do it. Also, after a few days of spraying religiously with PB Blaster, some of the gunk is coming off and I think i may be able to get it.

A Sawzall ought to do the trick.

That's what I'm thinking!

I'm just worried about taking the bolts off, and then the exhaust not fitting on to the cat. Cause if that happens, I can't drive it around until I get it attached somehow

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Get replacement bolts ahead of time. Easily available at any hardware store.

Then if your replacement exhaust doesn't fit, just put your factory exhaust back on with new bolts.

Also good idea to use some copper anti-seize on those new bolts.

·
Registered
1996 Corolla Wagon
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Get replacement bolts ahead of time. Easily available at any hardware store.

Then if your replacement exhaust doesn't fit, just put your factory exhaust back on with new bolts.

Also good idea to use some copper anti-seize on those new bolts.
Any idea the size of the stock bolts for the cat? They are so messed up on my car, even if I took them out idk if I could match them with something at the store.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts