Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I'm trying to determine if $900 is a fair estimate for replacing the Cat Converter and Exhaust Manifold on my 2002 Rav4 which has 160k miles

Thoughts?

The issue that caused the replacement is because I failed emissions. I failed emissions because the Cat Monitor was NOT READY. The monitor was NOT READY because 2 weeks earlier I had the shop replace the O2 sensors (to a tune of $400) due to a DTC (P1115(?)) and they reset the OBD. The car also has/had 2 pending DTCs (P0420, and P0430) which is why I believe the CAT monitor is taking longer to set to READY.

I feel like I'm getting rushed to get Converter and Exhaust replaced, and I think at 160k it's probably a decent idea. I just don't know if the price is right. I am not in California.

·
Registered
2009 RAV4 Sport AWD
160 Posts
Basically, I'm trying to determine if $900 is a fair estimate for replacing the Cat Converter and Exhaust Manifold on my 2002 Rav4 which has 160k miles

Thoughts?

The issue that caused the replacement is because I failed emissions. I failed emissions because the Cat Monitor was NOT READY. The monitor was NOT READY because 2 weeks earlier I had the shop replace the O2 sensors (to a tune of $400) due to a DTC (P1115(?)) and they reset the OBD. The car also has/had 2 pending DTCs (P0420, and P0430) which is why I believe the CAT monitor is taking longer to set to READY.

I feel like I'm getting rushed to get Converter and Exhaust replaced, and I think at 160k it's probably a decent idea. I just don't know if the price is right. I am not in California.

According to cars.com a cat cost $626-$1503 (includes parts & Labour - higher price range is dealer pricing). (90% is part and 10% is labour). So to answer your question is $900 is a fair estimate I would say yes. But if you want a cheaper price then buy a cat from Rockauto for $420 or so and get a mechanic to install it. Labour is 1 to 1.3 hours. Installing a cat can be done by most mechanics it is just held by bolts and it is not that complex like repairing a transmission. Shop around.

By the way the exhaust manifold is part of the cat.

·
Registered
'08 RAV4 Limited
532 Posts
Is a 13 year old car with 160K on the clock worth the price of repairs plus the $400 (and who knows what else?) you've already put into it? Frankly I rather doubt it. It's time to come to your senses.

·
Registered
2009 RAV4 Sport AWD
160 Posts
Is a 13 year old car with 160K on the clock worth the price of repairs plus the $400 (and who knows what else?) you've already put into it? Frankly I rather doubt it. It's time to come to your senses.
He needs to fix the cat in order to pass the emission test. The repair is not optional. Finding the lowest price for fixing an old car without sacrificing quality is how I would go about it.

·
Registered
'08 RAV4 Limited
532 Posts
He needs to fix the cat in order to pass the emission test. The repair is not optional. Finding the lowest price for fixing an old car without sacrificing quality is how I would go about it.
Very good point. After that though it may be time to consider moving on to another ride.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Most of your cost is the catalytic converter and if you cheap out on that you will end up having to replace it again in a couple years. Even 50 state certified converters are no safe bet. We started getting them from the dealer about 10 years ago due to too many aftermarket ones (all different brands) not holding up in the long term. If you are not planning on keeping it long term then go aftermarket. Just my opinion from what ive seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts