Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try direct application of sea foam engine treatment thru the upstream O2 ports.

I poured a bottle in each port, allowed it to sit. Smoked heavily for ~40 miles. I week after treatment no return of faults.

Note:I had to deal with a cross threaded 02 sensor port from the previous owner. Chasing the threads wasn't an option. I drilled and tapped an oversized port and installed an insert, all available on Amazon. I removed the cat head shield and upper radiator hose to get room to work.
18.5 MM drill
20 x 1.5 MM tap - I used Alpha tools HSMTT271044, it had good lead in to help center the tap.
TIME-SERT Drain Pan Insert M18x1.5X10MM Part # 18151

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,619 Posts
Thanks fer the tip! :)

I'd be curious what the O2 sensors are reporting. If you hook up an OBDII scanner and graph the O2 sensors at operating temp with the engine at idle, I'd be curious to see how well yer converter is performing. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fer the tip! :)

I'd be curious what the O2 sensors are reporting. If you hook up an OBDII scanner and graph the O2 sensors at operating temp with the engine at idle, I'd be curious to see how well yer converter is performing. ;)
what OBDII do you use, I am borrowing a simple one that reads codes, allows me to clear them. We don't have emissions testing in Ohio so not super concerned with true emissions.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,619 Posts
what OBDII do you use, I am borrowing a simple one that reads codes, allows me to clear them. We don't have emissions testing in Ohio so not super concerned with true emissions.
I currently use the BAFX Product bluetooth dongle I picked up off of Amazon fer about $25. I use OBD Fusion as my primary app ($5) on my Android phone to graph my O2 sensors. It's not really about emissions but more how the engine is performing. The graphing the rear O2 sensor can give you a good sense on how well the catalytic converter is performing. If you baseline yer converter now, you will be able to know later how well it is performing years down the road. If yer running too rich and burn up yer converter, you'll know that as well instead of guessing or having someone suspect it. The same goes fer yer fuel trims and MAF sensor. You can tell a lot once you git to understand what the sensors are reporting and where to look. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently use the BAFX Product bluetooth dongle I picked up off of Amazon fer about $25. I use OBD Fusion as my primary app ($5) on my Android phone to graph my O2 sensors. It's not really about emissions but more how the engine is performing. The graphing the rear O2 sensor can give you a good sense on how well the catalytic converter is performing. If you baseline yer converter now, you will be able to know later how well it is performing years down the road. If yer running too rich and burn up yer converter, you'll know that as well instead of guessing or having someone suspect it. The same goes fer yer fuel trims and MAF sensor. You can tell a lot once you git to understand what the sensors are reporting and where to look. ;)

cool I ordered, one. Is there a good post on what to look for in readings you discussed?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,619 Posts
cool I ordered, one. Is there a good post on what to look for in readings you discussed?
I would point you to some of the YouTube videos out there. South Main Auto is a good one to see how the diagnostics are used to determine where to look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have BAFX ODB2 hooked up to ODB Fusion app on my phone. I am able to read Sensor 2 on both banks....but trying to figure out the SAE PID selection for O2 Sensor 2 on both banks

at idle both Sensor 2s are reading .7 to .8 V with coolant temp at 183F, which suggests its running rich

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,619 Posts
Look at yer fuel trims. At idle, they (long and short) should be close to 0 when added together. If the fuel trims are maxed out 25% or higher at both and when the engine is revved up to 2500 RPMs, do the fuel trims go back to normal (close to 0)? If so, you most likely have a vacuum leak. Also, running in a rich mode will most likely kill yer converter in a short period of time. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Look at yer fuel trims. At idle, they (long and short) should be close to 0 when added together. If the fuel trims are maxed out 25% or higher at both and when the engine is revved up to 2500 RPMs, do the fuel trims go back to normal (close to 0)? If so, you most likely have a vacuum leak. Also, running in a rich mode will most likely kill yer converter in a short period of time. ;)
at warmed up IDLE, short term trim plus long term trim % is
Bank1 trim sum is -11% to 21% (short term trim is as high as 19%)
Bank2 trim sum is 1.5% to 6.2% (short term trim is as high as 8.5%)

at 2500 RPM

bank1 short term trim -11.7% to 1.5%
bank1 long term trim 0% to .8%
bank2 short term trim 0% to +11.7%
bank2 long term trim - 2.3% to 0%

are the two banks controlling two fuel injectors/cylinders each?

I am researching as I posted this...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts