Toyota Nation Forum banner

cat converter fault - 03 RAV 4 & cross threaded O2 sensor port

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  fivermillions 
#1 ·
Decided to try direct application of sea foam engine treatment thru the upstream O2 ports.

I poured a bottle in each port, allowed it to sit. Smoked heavily for ~40 miles. I week after treatment no return of faults.

Note:I had to deal with a cross threaded 02 sensor port from the previous owner. Chasing the threads wasn't an option. I drilled and tapped an oversized port and installed an insert, all available on Amazon. I removed the cat head shield and upper radiator hose to get room to work.
18.5 MM drill
20 x 1.5 MM tap - I used Alpha tools HSMTT271044, it had good lead in to help center the tap.
TIME-SERT Drain Pan Insert M18x1.5X10MM Part # 18151

#2 ·
Thanks fer the tip! :)

I'd be curious what the O2 sensors are reporting. If you hook up an OBDII scanner and graph the O2 sensors at operating temp with the engine at idle, I'd be curious to see how well yer converter is performing. ;)

#8 ·
Look at yer fuel trims. At idle, they (long and short) should be close to 0 when added together. If the fuel trims are maxed out 25% or higher at both and when the engine is revved up to 2500 RPMs, do the fuel trims go back to normal (close to 0)? If so, you most likely have a vacuum leak. Also, running in a rich mode will most likely kill yer converter in a short period of time. ;)

#9 · (Edited)
at warmed up IDLE, short term trim plus long term trim % is
Bank1 trim sum is -11% to 21% (short term trim is as high as 19%)
Bank2 trim sum is 1.5% to 6.2% (short term trim is as high as 8.5%)

at 2500 RPM

bank1 short term trim -11.7% to 1.5%
bank1 long term trim 0% to .8%
bank2 short term trim 0% to +11.7%
bank2 long term trim - 2.3% to 0%

are the two banks controlling two fuel injectors/cylinders each?

I am researching as I posted this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.