Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just made my custom exhaust today and noticed a few things...

My cat was disconnected and there was no inlet for the rubber tube on my current cat...so my cat has never been functional. I know my car had the engine replaced, but how do determine if it has the cat on the manifold? (might be a cali engine?)

But yea I just put on 2.25" exhaust, removed resonators and cat, and put a flowmaster 40 series on...loud but sounds good at idle (I'll get sound clips later) but no SES light, and car runs great w/ the new exhaust...my question is...shouldn't the new exhaust throw a code w/o a cat? The SES light turns on when the car battery is on, so there isn't tape over the light...

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
im sure if u look up the vin it will tell ya if it was or not a cali car.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwo...=n&WT.srch=1&SOURCE=GOTO&keyword=vin+tracking

as far as the code not tripping, if the engine was replaced ive herd of people tricking the ecu into thinking eveything is normal. stang guys use miliminators to do the same. and definatly get that clip up when u get a chance...id like to hear how that turned out.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
What does this tube go, to the converter? The California car has a two converters, one is bolted to the exhaust manifold. The codes are tripped only if a sensor(s) are present and they detect a problem. Perhaps no sensor is present or they do not detect a problem. The two sensors would be 02 (or A/F) sensor before and after the cat. Are the 02 sensors hooked up?

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the rubber tubes (2 i believe off memory) are just cut, not plugged...however there is no place on the cat that the tubes would even go into...its a Michigan car, I just don't know if for some odd reason a cali motor was put in or they just a cat that didn't belong on the car.

It runs great so I'm not worried, just curious...

Yea, it sounds semi deep at idle, however it sounds like a tuner at high rpms (I don't think a 4cyl will ever sound any better tho)

Its all 2.25 tubing, had to re hang everything, basically built it from scratch (spent 15 frikin bucks on damn hangers/clamps since i cant weld)...when I go home next weekend, i'll get some pics of the system and a sound clip...its pretty unique to pop a flowmaster on a camry tho :)

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,902 Posts
dont quote me on this, but on the 94 camry i dont believe there are sensors for the cat converter (a second oxygen sensor after the cat). that didnt start until 95 or 96 with the addition of the OBDII.

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but if there weren't supposed to be sensors on the cat, what were the tubes for?

I'm thinking I had the wrong cat on my car...my best guess

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
take a pic..could just be an air hose...emissions related, pics. tell a million words.

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll get a pic this weekend(at my dorm now)...we just moved into a new house w/ a car lift in the pole barn :)

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
In some CAT systems the air tubes force or allow air into the converter to help increase the temps and burn the emissions gases. I did not think this year car has this, but never know. The engine may have some kind of air pump to force the air into the CAT, but might just draw it in via a tube.

If there are no sensors and the car runs OK, maybe call it good. Make sure your local emissions control does not actually inspect the CAT system or they my have an issue.

Might download the service manual for the Gen_3 and maybe 2 from the link below.

http://oregonstate.edu/~tongt/camry

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i live in michigan...what are e-m-i-s-s-i-o-n-s? haha yea just more curious than anything...runs like a bat out of hell (well maybe more like a badger crawling out of its hole but you get the point)

·
You make me stupid.
96 Camry
106 Posts
toyomoho said:
The California car has a two converters, one is bolted to the exhaust manifold.
Do I read this right....if you have the little cat jus off the engine and the second one under the car before the muffler....you have a Cali car?

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
just look at the emissions sticker (on the hood i think), it should say "this vehicle conforms to * emission requirements..."
*=federal, or California

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.