Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everybody. It's my first post.

I have a friend with a beater 1997 Camry with the 2.2L 4-cylinder engine. It's got a busted catalytic converter, and I am looking for the best place to get an OEM replacement. IF you can direct me to a website or to a vendor that is selling such parts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm not exactly a fan of the replacements that are being sold on ebay. I'm really looking for OEM quality or something thats in good shape that came from a wreck, etc.

thanks.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
welcome to forums.

ask Gary, our supporting vendor (dealer from Newnan, Georgia). he offers unbeatable 30% off the MSRP price on anything and very reasonable shipping costs on single items.

PM member ID: TOYOPARTSMAN

besides that, you can browse other online dealers websites like:
www.toyotapartszone.com
www.toyotapartsoutlet.com
www.1sttoyotaparts.com

also check www.toyodiy.com, it can help you with locating the part you need based on your VIN (some part numbers may have been already updated though and their pricing is old).

don't forget to check our FAQ section (stickies) in this forums and browse the gen4 factory service manuals at:
www.camrystuff.com

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Just FYI, you can't buy or sell used cats. Junkyards won't sell them to you.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
i think going with new oem will be very expensive as per cat from dealer ... they might want to sell you the whole piece of exhaust with it...

there were some decent aftermarket brands of cats, but i can't remember, maybe someone else would chime in soon...

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Heard good things about Walker and Bosal.

Check rockauto.com

·
_
173 Posts
I got mine replaced for $200 with installation. Local shop nearby. They cut out the old one and welded in the new one.

EDIT: I reread your original post, and I missed that you wanted to use OEM. Mine was aftermarket. It came with a warranty, but I can't remember for how long.

·
Toyota Collector
12,009 Posts
Just FYI, you can't buy or sell used cats. Junkyards won't sell them to you.
I found that out the hard way. I pulled one from a nice low mileage Gen2, unit was basically mint. I grabbed it because sooner or later mine is going to pack it in, they would not sell it to me, told me I would not be willing to pay what they would have to charge me. And how much was that? Wouldn't tell me lol.

Sucks, I guess they make a small fortune recovering the precious metals.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Most places will buy old ones from you for like $30-40 so they can recycle them...

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,608 Posts
If you only want OE, Gary Smith is your best source. Keep in mind that your vehicle, if first sold in or around NY, is most likely California emissions. Check your emissions label under the hood.

We replaced my son's '97 4 cyl a couple years ago with a Walker direct fit. No problems.

I replaced the one on my daughter's 99 Avalon 1.5 years ago, using an Eastern. Again, no problems.

If you're doing it for a broken flex, you can get that replaced inexpensively.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Greetings cp0607,
Some of the members here are much to kind. Anyway, If you PM me your VIN, I can get you a quote on an OEM converter and shoot you some pictures and give you part numbers. However, if it is only a beater, I would take their suggestion and save a few bucks and go for an aftermarket one. One member did state that salvage yards won't sell used converteres, and they are correct. They will not, and by law they can't.

Should you have any questions, or need anything or help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Greetings everybody. It's my first post.

I have a friend with a beater 1997 Camry with the 2.2L 4-cylinder engine. It's got a busted catalytic converter, and I am looking for the best place to get an OEM replacement. IF you can direct me to a website or to a vendor that is selling such parts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm not exactly a fan of the replacements that are being sold on ebay. I'm really looking for OEM quality or something thats in good shape that came from a wreck, etc.

thanks.

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
The catalytic converter is one of the parts I would never buy OEM due to outrageous price tag. There are A LOT of aftermarket converters/front pipes on the market - Walker, Eastern Catalytic, Magnaflow, Bosal.

OEM will replace whole front pipe for about $1000+. Aftermarket front pipe will cost you $150-$350 max. Moreover, you have an option to cut the old cat and weld in a new one (w/o replacing whole front pipe); this will cost you even less (for part).

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,891 Posts
i bought one made from catco - i think it was about $150 for it. i installed it about 4 years and 80k miles ago and its never given me any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts