Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told I need a new catalytic converter. How is that determined? How much will that set me back? Any opinions on my purchasing one and having it installed?

If I did purchase my own, any suggestions of where I can purchase it or any other Camry parts?

'96 Camry, 220,000 miles and running well otherwise. Gotta love these cars!

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
You can tell if you need a new cat when you get your car smogged. If your car doesn't pass even though its running great otherwise. If you've gotta replace your cat you might as well throw in a high flow one that way you'll gain a few ponies in the process. Pretty much any local muffler shop can hook ya up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I assume your engine is worn and consuming oil. Oil poisons the CAT quicker. Move up to a 40wt or even a 50wt to help reduce the oil blowby. And use only API SL rated oils, the weaker additive package will not poison your new CAT so quickly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ken4 said:
I assume your engine is worn and consuming oil. Oil poisons the CAT quicker. Move up to a 40wt or even a 50wt to help reduce the oil blowby. And use only API SL rated oils, the weaker additive package will not poison your new CAT so quickly.
And use dino oil..... If it's consuming oil, it'll just consume sythetic faster.

20W-50 non-synthetic should do the job. along with a bottle of engine restore. Don't use Penzoil. Mobile, Chevron, or Texaco type stuff is okay.

- John

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Click Me!

They have high flow cats for a steal. I don't know if you have smog reguirements in your state or not. They might not meet them.:confused:

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
You should be fine with the high flow cat. They pass with flying colors out here in cali where the smog nazis are about as stringent as they get. Plus high flow cats look sexier than stock by far :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts