Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New old guy here. I got my '95 T100 SR5 Extra-Cab in '98. 124,000 happy miles later some thief (I hope he contracts leopracy) stole the converter and O2 sensor. Being a bolt-in, it was easy to pilfer. And my paved, lighted drive-way made it comfortable and easy to do so. Replaced with new parts from Rockauto.com. today. Good enough fit to work with a few modifications. Anyone else lost a part of their truck to these low-life, scum sucking cretins? (I mean that in the best way possible!)

Streetboogie

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,364 Posts
Welcome to TN!

Converter theft is a pretty common thing these days. Thieves can get up to 100 bucks each selling them to a recycler. Car dealers and salvage yards are being hit pretty hard in some areas.

I believe any thief should be strapped down to a fire ant bed and doused with honey.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm in Hampton Roads (Southeastern Virginia) and we had a rash of these about three years ago. Haven't heard much about it lately.

Seems like the cars are spared and the trucks are hit the hardest. Guess it's just too hard to steal a catalytic converter when the car is so close to the ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankfully I only lost the cat and the sensor. To get at it next time the sleezy criminal will need a cutting torch, bolt cutters, or portable sawzall, and SAE wrenches for the Allen-headed 180,000PSI cap screws. Bolted and welded that sucker in! Fully reinforced with 1/4" welded on round stock the full length from muffler to the head pipe. Hopefully they make enough noise so I can introduce them to my friends MR.SMITH, MR. WESSON, and/or MR. MOSSBERG (the 12 ga. buckshot variety). This is Texas. We have LAWS!

·
Registered
Toyota Corolla XRS
51 Posts
My 92 to yo pickup was hit too. It doesnt matter if its bolt on or not. The thieves stole mines in 10 minutes. The hacked it off when i was at a pizza place and took my downstream o2 sensor too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm old enough to know the best you can hope for is to slow them suckers down. Cutting through the 1/4" hardened steel, full length, reinforcing rod might just make 'em think twice. Or make enough noise to attract some attention, namely me and my above mentioned "little friends"! Either way, I wish nothing but abdject misery for those too lazy to work for a living.

·
Registered
1995 4wd T100
131 Posts
A few years ago they got the Cat off my wifes 96 4Runner. Did it right in my driveway with a battery powered Sawzall.

I was pissed for a few weeks until I talked to guy on a job I was working. He was telling me and some folks how his "worthless" brother was in the hospital recovering from a serious ass-whooping that group of roofers put on him. They caught him under the truck and pulled him out by his boots and beat him silly.

I'm sure he is not the guy who got my wife's but I still felt better. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hats off to the roofers. Guy got what he deserves. Only a fool would try that with construction workers around. Being retired from the construction industry I know we can be a "hardy, healthy, tough" bunch. Our tools and trucks are for making a living. That means hands-off to any buttmunch looking for a free c-note.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.