Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to start my 2014 Taco TRD/OR (manual trans) today after a week of not driving it. It turned over slowly, which was strange, and then I see lots of smoke, and just before I turn it off it revs to a relatively high RPM. I open the hood and I immediately notice the broken fan belt.

I’d take on replacing the belt myself, but I have a nagging feeling one of the components driven by the belt has seized. The truck doesn’t even have 50k kms on it yet. Does anyone have a likely suspect?

TIA :)

·
My Other Truck
3,778 Posts
It might be helpful to know if it's a 4 cylinder or a V6. If it's a V6 it will have a serpentine belt.... if it's a 4-cyl then IDK.

Since you suspect something seized, why not just try to rotate each component by hand (including idler pulleys, if any) and see how they feel?

·
Registered
752 Posts
if you had the hood open?
you should have easily seen the smoke source at the frozen component.
as I remember there may only be 3 (maybe 2, don't remember?) idler pulleys (no component) each of those should spin freely by hand...
spin those first.

I would have to purchase a new serpentine belt, install it and then look quickly during next start up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you had the hood open? ....
In reply to Splicer, the engine is the V6... (can you find a TRD with a 4-banger?)

In reply to Yrffej ... I didn’t get to lift the hood until after the belt had already broken. I can probably figure out which component is seized this weekend, but I’m new to this engine. As a senior who hasn’t worked on a car engine since selling his ‘68 Karmann Gaia, I’m even not sure of the direction component pullies are supposed to turn, or if the torque required needs a wrench on a center bolt. Besides the idler pullies, I’m figuring there is a water pump, alternator, A/C, ... what else?

Thanks for your replies!

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
The only thing I’m aware of that’s ever seized on these trucks is the AC compressor. But start with the ones that will turn easily by hand: tensioner, idler pulleys, alternator, then check compressor.

If you can’t find a problem and attempt to start it, make sure your HVAC fan is set to Off.

·
Registered
752 Posts
you should be able to google the belt orientation (routing) of our 1GR FE engine, and perhaps also the specific components.
that and youtube is your friend...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing I’m aware of that’s ever seized on these trucks is the AC compressor. But start with the ones that will turn easily by hand: tensioner, idler pulleys, alternator, then check compressor.
I’ve had the time to take a look at it today, and it appears the alternator has seized (it is fairly corroded).

If you can’t find a problem and attempt to start it, make sure your HVAC fan is set to Off.
I assume you’re speaking of the interior’s heater & a/c fan speed(?) Easy enough, but I’m curious as to why(?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you should be able to google the belt orientation (routing) of our 1GR FE engine, and perhaps also the specific components.
that and youtube is your friend...
Thanks. Yes... I was able to find the routing diagram for the drive belt. I wanted to also know the direction so that I wouldn’t inadvertently turn a component in the wrong direction with a wrench on the center bolt, but wasn’t able to find a diagram with arrows. I’d still like to know but finding the seized alternator was easy enough, and all other pullies were easily moved by hand.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
I think that’s the first seized alternator. We’ve had people with them failing (or ruined from off-roading and getting too much water/mud in them) but I just don’t recall one seizing.

As to why on the fan switch...I don’t think it matters. Pretty sure the computer doesn’t engage the AC compressor until after the engine is running, but better to eliminate a risk in case it was the compressor seized (and not the compressor pulley). Easier to say have the fan off then explain how the compressor runs in different defrost positions.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Thanks. Yes... I was able to find the routing diagram for the drive belt. I wanted to also know the direction so that I wouldn’t inadvertently turn a component in the wrong direction with a wrench on the center bolt, but wasn’t able to find a diagram with arrows. I’d still like to know but finding the seized alternator was easy enough, and all other pullies were easily moved by hand.
The only thing that should not be rotated the wrong way would be the engine-crank pulley. It is not advisable to rotate the engine counter clockwise because it could cause the timing chain to jump/skip. Everything else-water pump, power steering pump, alternator, tesnioner pulleys, idler pulleys, can rotate in either direction. Be sure you check the tensioner and idler pulleys for wear. When you try and spin them they should not keep going like a roller skate wheel and be quiet The belt only goes on one way. It seems as though if the alternator seized, that it should have given some warning before hand in the form of a loud noise.
Hope you get it fixed without too much trouble. Get a Denso reman alternator unless you enjoy changing it every few months!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
chuckoff
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing