Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some extensive research, I have decided that I want to change out my CD Player. Well, this is actually pretty funny (or not so funny), because I am not getting the truck for a few more days yet.

I am getting XM radio for Christmas, and I found that it is only $50 more for me to buy an aftermarket head unit and XM radio kit from Crutchfield instead of buying an adapter and a stand alone tuner. That also gives me the option to run a 10 disk changer later on. The 10 disk changer AND the new head unit have MP3 capabilities. This is a MUST for me since my Mustang has a 6 disk in dasher right now that plays MP3's.

After having that much variety in my music, I just can't go back to single disks.

As I said, I am ordering from Crutchfield, and they have a kit that supposedly comes with everything that I will need. Obviously, I am still weary of it because as everyone knows... that whole panel has to be replaced. The Crutchfield kit is priced at about $25 (included free with my head unit), and that is preeeeeety close to the price I've seen the aftermarket panels going for (from Scosche).

Has anyone ordered from Crutchfield? What is in the kit they supply? Has anyone found alternative replacement panels (Other than Scosche)? Who makes them and how much do they run? Where is the best place to buy online?

I'm going to have some time to wait before I get all of my components and get around to installing the new radio. I want to take the final few steps to getting ready for this.

I feel VERY strange - buying new gear for a truck I don't even have yet. I'm not a big fan of modifying NEW cars, so I am nervous, excited, and anxious all at the same time. I've replaced many stereos before, but ripping apart a brand new car just seems... wrong. Yet, I want XM. A single disk regular CD player just won't do, so I might as well replace the whole lot of it anyways since I'll be tearing it apart to add XM.

Any advice before I get in there? Any thoughts or Ideas? Anyone want pictures or anything? If so... I'll do my best to have someone there to snap them (if possible).

Oh... Just so you know... I'm going with this head unit:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not sure what kit they include but I would check before you buy, most people get either the American International kit on ebay for $25 shipped or a scosche kit on ebay or a little cheaper from sonicelectronix, I would check them for your radio as well.

Here is the best place I have found to get the scosche kit. I have bought a number of things from them and they have always been the cheapest.

Single Din
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5775.html

Double Din
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5774.html

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
Crutchfield doesn't carry the dash kit for the new Tacomas.

You will have to order it from Tacotunes.com or eBay.

There are 2 kits. Scosche which is paint matched at $35-50 bux.
American International Kit $ 15-25 which is not paint matched.
Sonic-Electronix sells the Scosche for $35 I believe.

You will need a Toyota wiring harness which is about $9.99.
You can find this harness on Crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gb3M7qhR1ge/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103000&I=120701761

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
Crutchfield is super legit. They are the best store I have ever ordered from. Crate and Barrel too.

I ordered a TV from them one time. I said I didn't like it and they sent me the better model for the same price! I had 2 TVs at one time. Of course I had to send the other crappy one back but still. Very nice service, no questions asked on returns.

Order your CD player there and the wiring harness.

Go with the Alpine CDA-9851 deck. It's on sale right now for $249.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Anyone know of a head unit that features large buttons, like the factory stereos? Some of the units have buttons and switches so small that you practically need a magnifying glass to locate them. Don't understand this. :disappoin

If the Japanese are designing and producing these things, I guess they think all people are as small as they are. But why not charge a couple of Sumo wrestlers with producing a head unit for the big guys among us...complete with big displays and big buttons? :)

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
Count said:
Anyone know of a head unit that features large buttons, like the factory stereos? Some of the units have buttons and switches so small that you practically need a magnifying glass to locate them. Don't understand this. :disappoin

If the Japanese are designing and producing these things, I guess they think all people are as small as they are. But why not charge a couple of Sumo wrestlers with producing a head unit for the big guys among us...complete with big displays and big buttons? :)
LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to put the scoshe kit on order.

I got my system ordered up through Crutchfield. Awesome service. When I ordered up, they included the wiring harness and some type of install kit for free. I have not ordered anything from them before, but I've gotten their catalogs many times. I've dreampt of the day I could, and now I have!

I can't wait to get it installed and enjoy some XM radio goodness.

Truck is scheduled to be at the dealer tomorrow or the following day. I'm so floored I can barely see strait. I just hope I can get this thing off the lot without the dealer giving me too much trouble.

Thanks for all of the links. I'll take a tour today and see what I can find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crutchfiled provides the Metra kit for the Tacoma for free if you order a head unit. I bought the alpine 9851 from them a couple of weeks ago and it came with the wiring harness for Toyota and the Metra kit. The Metra kit looks ok to me but it would look better if painted (and its free from Crutchfield). As far as speaker mounts go, you can get some cheaper ones on ebay than the ones that Tacotunes sells. The kit from Tacotunes will run you about $100 but that includes the speaker wiring harness also. You can get 6.5 and 6X9 speaker adapters on ebay. Do a search for "tacoma 2005 speaker" and you will see them there. They are about $10 plus shipping for a pair. The same guy sells the rear 6.5 adapters for a bout the same price but they are not described as being made for the Tacoma. Look at his other items and you will see them. They are made of plastic and are not as "thick" as the Tacotunes adapters so you dont need longer screws. I have both mount sets but have not installed them because my speakers have not arrived yet. You need to buy the "speaker wiring harness" (if you dont buy the kit from Tacotunes) so you can plug in your speakers right into the factory plugs without cutting into the truck's wiring harness. You can get those from crutchfield for about $10 per set. One set is a pair of adpaters so you need two sets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most people have said that bumper paint from Duplicolor is a close match to the dash color. My advice is to take your time and sand the kit, buy some primer made for plastic (that is sandable) and sand after priming, and then paint with the spary paint. Here is a link to the paint that most people said matched the color most closely: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bumper.html The paint code you want is the FS-108. You can get it at your local auto parts store. Look in this forum to see pictures of the Metra kit that i got on my Tacoma. I have not painted mine yet but I like it better than the Scosche. I tried the Scosche and the paint job on it was sloppy. There was overspary in the pocket. The pocket is huge and I didn't like the look. Also, once the radio goes in the kit it is very recessed and there is a large "shelf" in front of the bottom of the radio. This can't be avaoided because the contour of the dash is curved so any kit will have a "shelf". However, the Metra kit has a much shorter "shelf" than the Scosche and has a smaller pocket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! Well, I sent a link to the Scosche Kit, and my mom is an ordering fool. She ordered the thing almost immediately, and I didn't get the chance to tell her to hold off. So... I've got the scosche on the way. I will just compare the 2, look at what it would take to prime and paint the metra panel, and then go from there.

Considering I don't have the truck, the radio OR the pannels yet... I'd better just let everything show up and then make a judgement. I'll take some digital pictures to submit as a reference for those that are wondering what the differences are.

If anyone is on the fence, I would say that Crutchfield has been a fantastic place to buy this equipment. The Metric panel is included for free in the package, so there's no harm done.

If the Metric panel looks nicer, I might take the time to tape it off, prime it and paint it. I can always return the scosche kit if I feel like it's lacking.

Thanks again for the insight Azimuth. Very cool. I guess I got lucky in finding someone that's been through this already. You know what they say... better lucky than skillful. Skill can only get you so far. With Luck... Sky's the limits!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts