Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Corolla Sedan
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right hand wheel bearing, for lack of a better word, keeps shitting itself, it's got a shot wheel alignment, but would that cause it to break in the space of less than 500km/300miles? It's not due to doing skids either lol. Last time it broke I did a wheel alignment but it did the same thing again. Could something be bent or out of whack? Any ideas would be awesome guys.

I'm hoping I just timed the wheel alignment too late last time.

Cheers,

Vince.

·
Registered
1990 Corolla Sedan
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I actually just looked at both front wheels realitive to each other, one is SERIOUSLY on the piss, new bearing, wheel alignment (same day) should be set.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
My right hand wheel bearing, for lack of a better word, keeps shitting itself, it's got a shot wheel alignment, but would that cause it to break in the space of less than 500km/300miles? It's not due to doing skids either lol. Last time it broke I did a wheel alignment but it did the same thing again. Could something be bent or out of whack? Any ideas would be awesome guys.

I'm hoping I just timed the wheel alignment too late last time.

Cheers,

Vince.
There's a number of things that can cause wheel bearings to prematurely fail. The main ones being improper installation or applying too much or too little grease. A split seal will cause it to wear out prematurely too, but generally not so quickly (unless it's subjected to a lot of rain, dust, dirt etc in that 500km time-frame). Let us know if it happens again once you get your new one installed :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1990 Corolla Sedan
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a number of things that can cause wheel bearings to prematurely fail. The main ones being improper installation or applying too much or too little grease. A split seal will cause it to wear out prematurely too, but generally not so quickly (unless it's subjected to a lot of rain, dust, dirt etc in that 500km time-frame). Let us know if it happens again once you get your new one installed :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure it's just the alignment. Like, it's reeeeeally not good looking. Oh well, wrecker-sourced hub, put in this weekend, get new alignment on Monday and hope for the best.

P.S, where are you based?

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's just the alignment. Like, it's reeeeeally not good looking. Oh well, wrecker-sourced hub, put in this weekend, get new alignment on Monday and hope for the best.

P.S, where are you based?
Sounds good :). I'm located in Auckland :cool:

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
I find that most of the time when you get a hub from a wrecker it's already on it's way out...

also a big reason for it failing is improper installation. alignment really shouldn't kill it that fast.

·
Registered
1990 Corolla Sedan
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find that most of the time when you get a hub from a wrecker it's already on it's way out...

also a big reason for it failing is improper installation. alignment really shouldn't kill it that fast.
Nah, I've put it down to alignment, I'll see if I can get pics of just how bad it actually is... It drives like a mushy banana... I check anything I get from the wreckers, 9/10 times I can score new parts for used prices out of them (I have a mate working there)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts