Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Driving round today the check engine light came on after just a minute or two of driving. Throwing code 42. Can anyone tell me what this code means? Thanks. Im thinking ecu (stock) but are they known to go bad on these??

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Nice to have another Kiwi join up :). According to my Haynes manual, a code 42 would indicate a problem with the vehicle speed sensor. Diagnosis - No speed signal for 8-seconds when the engine speed is between 3,000 and 5,000 rpm and the transmission is in gear. Trouble area - Vehicle speed sensor or circuit, ECU, speedometer, or instrument panel printed circuit. I'd lean more towards the speed sensor or speedo being at fault as the 4A-GE ECUs don't have a tendency to cause problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Im hoping it is the vehicle speed sensor lol. I only bought the car today lol got it real cheap though so i dont mind. If it is the speed sensor would you know where i can get one??

NZ!!

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Thanks! Im hoping it is the vehicle speed sensor lol. I only bought the car today lol got it real cheap though so i dont mind. If it is the speed sensor would you know where i can get one??

NZ!!
What gearbox has it got? The 5-speed or the 6-speed? If it's a 5-speed then chances are that it'll share the same transmission and speed sensor as the 4A-GE Silvertop. There are two GT Apex Levins at Pick-A-Part in Mangere, Auckland. There's also one at Pick-A-Part Takanini, Auckland, but someone ripped the gearbox out the other day. Whereabouts in NZ are you from? And what model Toyota is it?

Here's a photo of where the vehicle speed sensor is located:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im in Auckland, Te Atatu lol. its the 5 speed, ae111 levin. Oh nuts i was out by Mangere yesterday, picked up the levin in South Auckland. I might need to take a trip out there again.

Thanks for the pic :) made my job heaps easier.

My speedo 'seems' to be working fine but it could still be the speed sensor?

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Im in Auckland, Te Atatu lol. its the 5 speed, ae111 levin. Oh nuts i was out by Mangere yesterday, picked up the levin in South Auckland. I might need to take a trip out there again.

Thanks for the pic :) made my job heaps easier.

My speedo 'seems' to be working fine but it could still be the speed sensor?
No problem :thumbsup:. Yeah I'd try the speed sensor first. Typically if these go bad then you'll lose about 500-700rpm from your rev range, meaning you'll redline earlier than you should. I was thinking about it last night, and although there are two GT Apex Levins with 4A-GE 20v engines at Pick-A-Part Mangere, only one of them in a 5-speed. The other is an auto. The 5-speed one is right down the back, to the very far right of the Toyota section. So if you walk in, head to the Toyota section, but go as far as you can to the end on the right (as if you were walking towards the road you went down to get into Pick-A-Part. It's maroon in colour and you can't miss it. It's been there for at least a month, so you might want to get down there this weekend as they tend to remove the car from the yard after a month of sitting there. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ill have to check it out sometime in the weekend. im having trouble finding the speed sensor on my car. nothing looks the same as the picture lol. i mean similar to the picture

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
ill have to check it out sometime in the weekend. im having trouble finding the speed sensor on my car. nothing looks the same as the picture lol. i mean similar to the picture
Lol, it should be on top of the gearbox nearest the firewall side. Here's another photo:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sory for being a nuisance lol. Will have another look. by chance could it be one of those big grey plugs that goes in to it? Like the plugs for the radiator fans

edit:
My bad lol i was looking at the pic the wrong way around :s. thinking the exhaust manifold holes were showing. im a real noob to these 4age motors :p

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Sory for being a nuisance lol. Will have another look. by chance could it be one of those big grey plugs that goes in to it? Like the plugs for the radiator fans
Haha, you're not being a nuisance :). I'm not sure which grey plugs you're talking about as I don't have a 4A-GE yet unfortunately, but here's another pic that may help:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts