·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh...dang, i'm missinformed then. I coulda sworn this HB celicas before 1990 were RWD...lemmi look online.

thanks.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Check out the Supra/Celica's then.. they stopped production in like 86 I think.. but not certain, it was before the Supra came out and the Celica came out.. basically called the Supra Celica. I think they have 22RE engines, but once again not certain.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Punisher is right. etxxz, you must be talking about the Celica Supra's.

I've never seen anyone try to drift the celica supra before.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Punisher, those "Celica Supras" are considered to be supra mk-II's... Celicas have been after the A-series (I think the next model with it was also an A- series), FWD.
Celicas do however offer an 4WD platform.

·
Immortal
332 Posts
The first 3 generations of the Celicas were all RWD. They aren't that light, and in the US at least, didn't really get a sporty engine, instead, got bigger torquier motors (18/20/22R/E). The overseas versions had a larger variety of engines... from "T" series SOHC and DOHC, and "R" series SOHC and DOHC. The US versions were all SOHC "R" series if I remember correctly...

Anyway... I think the AE86 is a better platform because of the engine and weight distribution. The Celicas are a bit heftier, the stockish engines aren't that great for track, and are a bit front heavy.

·
nice guy
191 Posts
yeah man....the supra celica was a bit too front heavy for a good drift car. But hey, you can drift any car. So go crazy.

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
dang, that means that its HEAVIER than my Acura TL!!!

Hey, what about that Ae86 coupe? (not Hatchback but still 2 door) with a 1.8l engine. I found a 1986 for a good price just 30minutes away from homebase. would this be a good drift machine?

i kinda already did another thread on this...All Ae86s on 1.6l eng
thread:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t53564.html

*Sry mods...i know rules ~ acura-tl.com member 1000posts.

·
Immortal
332 Posts
etxxz said:
dang, that means that its HEAVIER than my Acura TL!!!

Hey, what about that Ae86 coupe? (not Hatchback but still 2 door) with a 1.8l engine. I found a 1986 for a good price just 30minutes away from homebase. would this be a good drift machine?

i kinda already did another thread on this...All Ae86s on 1.6l eng
thread:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t53564.html
Umm... hmm... 1.8 liter? I think that seller either has a motor swap (3TC?) or is confused. Anyway... if it's a 3TC... then it'll make a fair drag/drift set-up... but if it's a 4AC (1.6 liter)... it lacks drift power... but whatever. Coupes are cool... I like em...

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as long as i'm coming into the corver with enough speed to break/shift weight, power wont matter (coming out it will). I'm sure this guy i'm visiting tomorow has no idea about what he has meaning he prob didnt swap engine...SR5?

so, would this 1986 1.8L carburated corolla be FWD or RWD?

·
Immortal
332 Posts
etxxz said:
as long as i'm coming into the corver with enough speed to break/shift weight, power wont matter (coming out it will). I'm sure this guy i'm visiting tomorow has no idea about what he has meaning he prob didnt swap engine...SR5?

so, would this 1986 1.8L carburated corolla be FWD or RWD?
If he didn't swap... then it's a 1.6 liter 4AC. It's not 1.8... but from the picture... it is RWD.

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, new info.

I just came back from looking at the car and here's whats up. Yes, he swapped engines to the 1.8L (from older corolla), he has a bigass elderok 4-hole carburator (compared to stock -close friend w/ '84 HB- ITS HUGE) the car looks very nice, some paint chips, some rust (all fixable by me)

BUT

HE HAS NO POWER STEERING, clutch is almost gone, it WILL need a new one...aparently he has a drag setup. No A/C (i'd do this too) MSD, headers, a very shitty 2" exhaust (bought pipes at Auto discount and welded them together!)

*Heh, i had to literally use both my hands AND body weight to reverse outa that parking lot!

heh the funny thing is, he wants 2000USD :lol: , I went with 1300cash, hoping to spend 1200 AT MOST (moded) but after seeing it. 500US prob not worth it.

to drift i'd need to put P/S plus a clutch (i can do myself) but its like $600+ in parts...nah F that!

Thanks for helps neways! you've been a great crowd!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts