Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
12 Posts
The evap system is totally separate from the air injection system, so I heavily doubt it will suffer from lower lift engagement.

I didn't read through your entire build thread, but did you change the lift bolts at the same time as the valve cover gasket? The lift bolts is the only thing I can think of from lower lift engagement, but that's only because you'd want to hit it all the time after a reflash!

If you don't intend on going full race header then Ronie's flash is totally fine. If you want the most potential then I recommend Redliner9K's tune instead. MWR's reflash I imagine is the same as Ronie's but they do an exchange, so you need to reset your immobilzer after as it won't be your original ECU.
I’ve heard that Ronie’s tune is a good start, but only changes lift point and tune above lift point. R9K tunes above and below lift and therefore makes more torque below lift. I believe that MWR is a R9K tune, and both are a similar price, and both offer exchange. Their base tune is good up to exhaust and cold air intake. Those mods plus PPE header requires a different tune. Only the PPE header is big enough difference over the Yamaha designed factory header, others are not a drastic difference on a 2zz. If you look at the stock exhaust system you will see lots of room for improvement. It looks like 2 1/2” leaving the stock header, then has various drops and bump ups to 2”, 2 1/4” and back to 2 1/2”. Doing a true 2 1/2” from stock header back with cat delete or high flow, and resonator delete will be a big difference. But will drone in the cabin at 3000-3500 rpm. Also the tube leading to the stock air box drops to a small diameter. I just ordered the Cosmo racing CAI for my XRS. It’s supposed to add 7 hp on stock car, or 14 with exhaust and tune. As far as P0441 code, I get that when I don’t really tighten my gas cap, like at least 3 “clicks” past tight. I also flipped the O’ring over on the cap to get a fresh sealing surface and haven’t had code in a month!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ve heard that Ronie’s tune is a good start, but only changes lift point and tune above lift point. R9K tunes above and below lift and therefore makes more torque below lift. I believe that MWR is a R9K tune, and both are a similar price, and both offer exchange. Their base tune is good up to exhaust and cold air intake. Those mods plus PPE header requires a different tune. Only the PPE header is big enough difference over the Yamaha designed factory header, others are not a drastic difference on a 2zz. If you look at the stock exhaust system you will see lots of room for improvement. It looks like 2 1/2” leaving the stock header, then has various drops and bump ups to 2”, 2 1/4” and back to 2 1/2”. Doing a true 2 1/2” from stock header back with cat delete or high flow, and resonator delete will be a big difference. But will drone in the cabin at 3000-3500 rpm. Also the tube leading to the stock air box drops to a small diameter. I just ordered the Cosmo racing CAI for my XRS. It’s supposed to add 7 hp on stock car, or 14 with exhaust and tune. As far as P0441 code, I get that when I don’t really tighten my gas cap, like at least 3 “clicks” past tight. I also flipped the O’ring over on the cap to get a fresh sealing surface and haven’t had code in a month!
This is great info. I am unable to eliminate the cat. I can't click the gas cap past 1 click for some reason. The cap says 1 click. OEM cap.

Here's what I'm considering. Been talking to a co-worker to build me a custom header and exhaust. He suggests to go with 2 1/2 all the way back and agrees to use a high flow cat to increase the torque. Was also informed he knows someone local to me that can tune a Denso. I'd prefer to have it done locally. Not implying that r9k isn't a good tune pack, but they are in PR or Florida. I wanna see it run on the Dyno as it's tuned. It's kinda like going in the dark for me.

Prefer to see what I am really paying for.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
12 Posts
Yeah, I’m in CA so I can’t eliminate cat either. They are Very strict here, so any performance parts installed need a CARB OE # and label. Also strictly unable to touch anything before the cat, so no header. Custom built headers involve lots of labor and typically very expensive, although the PPE header is $900, so maybe similar? Also, I believe R9K helped design PPE header on a dyno and offers a $200 tune for using it. But again that’s the last thing to do for that money. Yamaha designed and built the 2zz along with the factory header, it’s not a cast manifold, so only PPE is an improvement. Not sure, but based on the high flow cat quality, it may not allow the full benefit of an expensive header. I’m also playing with my XRS for now and giving it to my son later, and I feel like a good cai with good cat and cat back exhaust with the R9K tune at $200 is the best bang for buck and should be plenty of fun and probably better mpg to boot! I’ve seen that stock ECU, stock 330cc injectors and stock fuel system are good to 230-240 hp, and stand that alone ECU 450cc injectors only needed above that or E85 conversion. For me, with only exhaust done after resonator so far, my car runs rich at wide open throttle. I watch my O2 (HEGO) sensor with my scan tool and it reads .91 volt the whole rpm range when floored. Should be about .60 volt roughy. I got my Cosmo CAI and will install soon and report back with butt dyno and if it runs less rich hopefully!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Like you, I haven't done any mods except for a TRD axle back exhaust.

Eventually, this will be my son's car within the next few years. He's been watching lots of YouTube and also has friends that tune their cars through laptops. Just praying he doesn't blow it up. Took me almost 2 years to find this car! Hahaha

We will see where it leads me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
For me, with only exhaust done after resonator so far, my car runs rich at wide open throttle. I watch my O2 (HEGO) sensor with my scan tool and it reads .91 volt the whole rpm range when floored. Should be about .60 volt roughy. I got my Cosmo CAI and will install soon and report back with butt dyno and if it runs less rich hopefully!
Sounds like you are using a narrow band (0VDC-1VDC) rather than a wide band (0VDC-5VDC). Narrow bands are totally fine and work, but wide bands are always recommended for tuning and datalogging.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
12 Posts
Sounds like you are using a narrow band (0VDC-1VDC) rather than a wide band (0VDC-5VDC). Narrow bands are totally fine and work, but wide bands are always recommended for tuning and datalogging.
Yes, I’m just monitoring the stock O2 sensor with a scan tool. I was a Ford dealership mechanic for 18 years then owned a shop for 8 years. I started watching and tuning fuel with a stock O2 sensor on my Fox body Mustang in 1993. It usually gets you close enough. That car ended up making 500hp running 11.3 at 121 mph. It’s much easier to make fuel changes with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but the 2zz would require a conversion to a return style fuel system.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
12 Posts
I installed the Cosmo racing cold air intake yesterday. I found it on EBay for $180 and it looks similar to Injen. It was a pain to get the filter down and behind the fog light, I ended up unbolting and pulling the headlight outward as far as it would go to sneak the filter in. I made some full throttle runs afterwards and monitored stock O2 sensor again. It definitely sounds better/louder now, especially when Lift kicks in, it sounds Very angry!! Hard to feel if it made much difference in power though, I guess it’s hard to feel 7hp it is rated to add. My O2 sensor now reads .85 to .87volt at WOT instead of .91 volt, so I’m glad it leaned the fuel mixture some. I’m hoping for .60-.65v So now the next step is a R9K tune to lower the Lift point and hopefully lean the fuel more, and make some more power! I’ll let you know

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have been wanting to add a CAI to the 2zz, but the TRD axle back muffler is plenty loud as it is. The noise that the CAI would make likely will be too loud. Lol.

My coworker advised me to add this after the header and exhaust is done and tuned for the CAI.

Edit : I likely won't go the r9k route as my coworker knows a guy who tunes Denso ecus.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
12 Posts
I have been wanting to add a CAI to the 2zz, but the TRD axle back muffler is plenty loud as it is. The noise that the CAI would make likely will be too loud. Lol.

My coworker advised me to add this after the header and exhaust is done and tuned for the CAI.

Edit : I likely won't go the r9k route as my coworker knows a guy who tunes Denso ecus.
None of the CAI out there need a tune. In fact it actually helped make the car not as rich at wot. At $180 it’s the best next step for the money after doing cat back exhaust. Or You can also do short ram intake for only $130. As far as the sound, it only has a mean growl when floored and then hitting lift, but probably no louder than the exhaust already is.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
12 Posts
Do you know if cosmos has one for the Corolla?

Edit : not bad for under 150$. Will need to contact them to see what it costs in USD. Like the blue color though

I got my Corolla’s Cosmo CAI from eBay. It converts Canadian$ to US$. I believe the short ram is $130 with shipping and the long tube cold air is about $178 with shipping. It took about a week to arrive

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
12 Posts
It's still cheaper to go through cosmos as they charge shipping @ 40$ versus mwr @ 90$.

Mwr doesn't carry cosmos, but does sell injen @ 328$.
Like I said, I got mine on EBay, through Cosmo. Shipping was about $31, the intake was $143, so about $174 total. There are also injen CAI for XRS on EBay for $245 free shipping.[/QUOTE]

21 - 35 of 35 Posts