Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Asheville
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of shopping for a new Avalon Limited, however because of the Corona virus I am not able to sit in the car or test drive it at this time. I like everything about the car but have two questions:
1. The center console seems very wide does anyone have an issue with it bothering the right leg?
2. Toyota cars generally do not have a sporty ride like Honda's. Is the ride of the Avalon too cushy and bouncy or is it firm enough so that the handling is reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any responses and stay safe and healthy

· Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
1,269 Posts
FYI, Toyota dealers around me (Wisconsin) are bringing cars to the prospective buyers home for a test drive, if asked.

I never find the ride of my Avalon Limited to be too soft, but I do occasionally think it's to0 firm. IMO, it's an almost perfect balance, and is also very easily softened up or firmed up by slightly altering the tire pressure (+/- 3 lbs of air).

I've never found the center console to bother my right leg, but the point on the drivers door where my left leg always seems to always contact it is a hard contact point, and I'm making adjustments to how I position my left leg when driving.

· Registered
267 Posts
have put 16,000 miles on mine so far. i have the XSE but same center console. depends on where your seat is and how long your legs on. sometimes when using cruise control and if i bring my leg up to the wrong spot it will bug me but just adjust a little and im fine. but im 6 foot tall and have 30 pants. so im a weird size lol

· Registered
43 Posts
I would not buy or lease any car without test driving it. If you are in need of a vehicle right now because your lease is about to expire, perhaps you could get it extended. If you need a vehicle for some other reason, perhaps a long term rental would be wise.

· Registered
2020 Avalon Limited
131 Posts
I recently purchased the Limited and the center console does not bother me at all, it is actually quite comfortable to rest your arm/elbow on. As far as the ride goes, one of the things that Honda has been criticized for is their harsh or too stiff a ride. I feel the Avalon does quite well with balancing ride comfort and handling. I was more interested in the comfort part, but I feel it takes corners quite well without a "rolling" feeling. As stated in a previous post, I do more sitting in mine in the garage since we can't go anyplace, but the few trips I've taken have been very enjoyable.

· Registered
811 Posts
I am in the process of shopping for a new Avalon Limited, however because of the Corona virus I am not able to sit in the car or test drive it at this time. I like everything about the car but have two questions:
1. The center console seems very wide does anyone have an issue with it bothering the right leg?
2. Toyota cars generally do not have a sporty ride like Honda's. Is the ride of the Avalon too cushy and bouncy or is it firm enough so that the handling is reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any responses and stay safe and healthy
Everyone's body and seat posture is different, so it's good advice to sit in one and see if the ergonomics agree with you. In regards to Honda, they are typically tuned with firmer suspension relative to Toyota, although softer is not synonymous with bouncy or floaty, which implies poor rebound control. The Avalon may be the exception however, since this generation was purposely targeted to the sportier side, as shown by the 3 sport trims (XSE, Touring, TRD).

In regards to which suspension is superior, if that is what is really trying to be understood, keep in mind that suspension refinement is the product of the entire structural strength combined with the strength and size of each suspension component. Thicker/stronger structure and components usually result in less interior room with the tradeoff being superior handling and ride (this is why German vehicles usually have less interior room for the same size Japanese vehicle, but the German vehicle handling better). Take for example the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry (there is no direct Honda competitor to the Avalon). Both are about the same length and width, but the Accord weighs less and has noticeably more interior room. Not based on specific measurements but rather my history with these brands and models, I know this is because the Toyota structure and components are more substantial, even if the difference is small. Source: years of scrutinizing Honda's and Toyota's.

· the wheel guy
2019 Avalon Touring ; 2019 Platinum Highlander
106 Posts
The Touring is a blast to drive, the adaptive suspension changes the car dramatically I am very glad I chose the trim level. You want a tight suspension?, hit that sport button. You want a soft ride?, hit normal, or ecom. This is one of the most fun and nice cars that i have driven. My other daily is a Buick Grand National ;) You feel like part of the car when driving it, both with the suspension tight, or loose. The console weighs no interference with reaching or stretching to get to anything. I am 6'1" 205.

· Registered
41 Posts
FYI, Toyota dealers around me (Wisconsin) are bringing cars to the prospective buyers home for a test drive, if asked.

I never find the ride of my Avalon Limited to be too soft, but I do occasionally think it's to0 firm. IMO, it's an almost perfect balance, and is also very easily softened up or firmed up by slightly altering the tire pressure (+/- 3 lbs of air).

I've never found the center console to bother my right leg, but the point on the drivers door where my left leg always seems to always contact it is a hard contact point, and I'm making adjustments to how I position my left leg when driving.
I experienced the same issue with my left leg. My left leg always where the unlock/lock buttons are.

· Registered
Asheville
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got to drive the 2019 Avalon XLE. The ride is perfect and the center console is no issue. It is a well designed car that does not get the proper recognition from car buyers. I owned many luxury cars and can say that they are overpriced compared to the Avalon.
Last issue is the car was supposed to be delivered to the dealer in June, however, with the factory shutdown who know anymore.

· Registered
2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited
97 Posts
I only test drove the Limited trim level but I am very happy with the ride and handling. For the past 2 years I have driven a VW. A Jetta since 2006 with nearly 300,000 miles on it. The VW Jetta is a great handling car with a fairly stiff suspension. I find the Avalon to have excellent handling as well and with my tires set at 41 psi the ride is firm which is what I wanted. As others have suggested, changing tire pressure a bit can really change how a car feels. No issues as well with the center counsole.

To the OP, you might have some luck using a website like Cars.com to locate the car you are looking for. The Avalon I purchased was at a dealer 250 miles away. My local dealer retrieved the car in 48 hours and I picked it up. Don't limit yourself to what the local dealer might have in stock. One that I looked at 6 weeks ago is still on the lot.

· Registered
Asheville
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Generally German cars have stiffer suspensions better handling and better brakes than other cars because they are designed to be driven on roads without speed limits. Even VW just laid off 15,000 workers because of slow vehicles' sales due to the virus.

· Registered
2020 Avalon XSE - Ruby Flare Pearl
121 Posts
Where my right leg sits makes or breaks whether a car will work for me. Most times, I have an issue where the console comes down and based on how I sit in the car, especially for long drives, the area where my LCL and Fibula connect is usually a pressure point that hits the console.
I don't have that issue at all in my Avalon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.