Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Camry 2011 SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellow Camry Gen8-ers,

About a week ago the infotainment screen and all center panel controls in my car have stopped responding / even turning on. I cannot control the A/C, cannot use any USB ports, although the Cigarette Lighter style power outlet still works, I cannot get the display to turn on or the radio (tried via the steering wheel controls as well). In addition to that - the colored lights that show up on the left of the shifter to show which gear the car is in doesn't seem to be working either. Correspondingly, the reverse camera's video feed doesn't display on the center display when the car is in reverse. RCTA seems to still work with the beeps so I'm led to believe that this could be a problem with one of the fuses for that whole center panel area. However, none of the fuses I checked were blown - checked all of the fuses above the driver side kick panel, and all the
Gonna take it to the dealer when I get a chance, but my dealership offers no loaners, so it may be a minute before I can drop it off.

Anyone else here experience the same / similar issue or have ideas on other things I could quickly check or remediate?

(Last time I posted on this forum the answer was "suck it up", but it think this concern warrants a little exploration by Toyota)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,941 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and reset it that way? Wait around 15-30 mins. for memory to clear.

·
Registered
Camry 2011 SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Took it to the dealer (12/26) and they determined that the head unit and controls panel will have to be replaced.

There's a back order on that component from Panasonic, so they quoted about two weeks from the day I dropped it off. They wanted me to take the car back until then but given the winter weather and inability to use the backup camera, I got ToyotaCare to pull some strings at the dealership and let me hold on to a rental for the time.

The task seems to be a major repair and the part(s) are expensive. Debating on whether I'm gonna hold onto this car post warranty. It appears the good ol' days of being able to fix a Japanese car easily and at an economical cost are fading away.

Still waiting on the call to go pick up my '19 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Update:

Took it to the dealer (12/26) and they determined that the head unit and controls panel will have to be replaced.

There's a back order on that component from Panasonic, so they quoted about two weeks from the day I dropped it off. They wanted me to take the car back until then but given the winter weather and inability to use the backup camera, I got ToyotaCare to pull some strings at the dealership and let me hold on to a rental for the time.

The task seems to be a major repair and the part(s) are expensive. Debating on whether I'm gonna hold onto this car post warranty. It appears the good ol' days of being able to fix a Japanese car easily and at an economical cost are fading away.

Still waiting on the call to go pick up my '19 :)

IMHO - Japanese cars aside for all the electronics are still reliable. The more gadgets added, the more things can break. This is one reason I purchased extended warranty.

·
Registered
Camry 2011 SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: 1/29

Car's been in the shop for over a month, with Toyota citing part(s) on back order.

Can't help but feel a little miffed at the situation.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Update: 1/29

Car's been in the shop for over a month, with Toyota citing part(s) on back order.

Can't help but feel a little miffed at the situation.

I know it’s frustrating but it sounds like Toyota is taking care of it. Did they give you a rental?

·
Registered
Camry 2011 SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not having access to my car that I bought new (for over a month) and being put up in a rental (not as comfortable, louder, poorer mpg) while making the car and insurance payments leads to the frustration, at least for me.

To me - that's a brand new car that I've owned for 13 months, out of which 1 month it's been out of service. 7% of its total life till date. Not a good start.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I feel for you. But let`s put it in another perspective....Your car has been out because they don`t have the HU in stock / I`ve seen a member here that has been out of his new Camry because his tranny went kaput and they had to dismember that car to replace it with a remanufactured unit.

I have my problems with mine, but I still consider them little enough to keep it. Let`s hope they will get that unit fast and you`ll be able to enjoy your car as u deserve it.
BTW, there are like new used HU from crashed cars available on ebay. Can the dealer look into that if you agree to that solution... Probably it wouldn`t be warrantied...

·
Registered
Camry 2011 SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Their supply planning should be transparent to me as a customer. And my vehicle should be getting fitted with a brand new part - hence the warranty.

I mean I completely understand the challenges of unavailable parts / production challenges / supplier issues / clients having unreasonable timelines - I work in professional services. But a month for a critical component (controls AC, Heat, Defogger) is pushing the limit of reasonableness.

They're manufacturing these cars on a daily basis in their factory within the US right? I can't imagine that no spares are available for that long.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,941 Posts
Unfortunately, it takes time for Toyota to build up their supply chain for spares. This was the case when some early 2020 sedans and late 2019 hb windshield design flaw caused cracking.

But yes, a month is way too long.

·
Registered
Camry 2011 SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
Camry 2011 SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:

After a really "short" 42 days (> 6 weeks), I've been told the vehicle is ready for pickup.

I am not pleased at all with the entire customer experience through this process. This car might end up being my last Toyota, and I'm going to pursue this with Toyota Sales North America to see if they can do anything for the inconvenience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts