Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
up to what mileage are the stock brake pads good for? on average? and if you install ceramic brake pads, do you then have to also change the rotor? do they burn out the rotors? finally, which is the best up front braking set up that is moderately priced to install. aside from a wish list.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Not sure for the gen 5 but my gen 4 xle came with ceramic pads. I dont think you need to change rotors. Ceramics arent really harsh on anything. They are just quieter, last longer, and reduce brake dust. Perhaps resist fading a bit better. My gen 4's lasted to about 75K. Then my mechanic finally told me they were rock hard but i still had 25% left in front and 50%in back.

edit- my rear passenger side rotor is warped now but it doesnt really affect anything. Just cant really use the e-brake for a stop if my fronts went out...

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
my rotors were were warped at 45K so i had to change mine to ceramics. Ceramic is what they use stock.

·
tC
2007 Scion tC
486 Posts
RICO8458 said:
up to what mileage are the stock brake pads good for? on average?
its hard to say how long brakes last on average because it really depends on if you drive more city or more hwy.

RICO8458 said:
and if you install ceramic brake pads, do you then have to also change the rotor? do they burn out the rotors?
no replacing the rotors is unnessasary unless they are warped or too thin(need a micrometer to tell)

RICO8458 said:
finally, which is the best up front braking set up that is moderately priced to install. aside from a wish list.
depends on what you mean by moderately priced, but a nice setup is brembo blanks with some akebono proact ceramic pads. i have c/d brembos with ceramic pads all around and my car stops straight and true with easy brake modulation. they are also quiet and produce very little brake dust. if it were my dime i would have just got blank rotors instead of c/d but they were a gift so i got lucky.

my $.02

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Sir. appreciate the feedback and reply. wanted some opinions since i do a lot of stop and go, plus high speed braking on higways up here in NYC. traffic haven. really appreciate the skinny on the products/pricing aspects... thanks... will look into them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts