• Ceramic

Votes: 9 69.2%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey TYN! Doing some work next week on the camry (New front tie rod assembly, mounting new tires, front brake job...) and I'm looking for some input on a set of brake pads to pick up. Not sure if I should go with ceramic or semi-metallic pads in this application:dunno:....what would you choose and why? Thanks!

·
Ambitious but Rubbish
'93 Camry V6 5-Speed
88 Posts
Ceramic, they can withstand greater heat and abuse than Semi-Metallic.

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of ceramic pads for daily street use in cold conditions. They don't provide enough initial bite, and tend to increase stopping distances when the pads are cold. However, once the brakes are at operating temperature, ceramics tend to outperform their metallic counterparts. Unless you're doing some severe mountain driving where ceramics can stay cooler without adequate airflow, go with semi-metallics. If you want cleaner wheels (if you have rims, not wheel covers), go with ceramics.

Personally, I use carbon kevlar or carbon metallic, but finding those for a Camry would prove difficult.

In the end, it's really personal preference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
CERAMICS---If you like your wheels to stay clean, put them on my 09 Corvette, world of difference. If I just drove around the block after washing the car/wheels they would be filthy again with the OEM semi-metalic pads. Discs/rotors last much longer too.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used ceramic on the rear brakes of the of my wife's 96 Camry. No problems, working nice.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I prefer stopping power over clean wheels. I prefer stopping power over quiet brakes. I prefer stopping power over eternal long life pads/rotors that don't work. And, I've haven't seen any ceramics that outperformed metallic pads.
I prefer stopping power over the over-hyped over-marketed material best left for making coffee mugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts