Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a handful of searches on tint. Mainly going with a ceramic tint.

It seems to be 60/40. 60% in favor of ceramic tint. 40% say save your money.

It seems the 3 common tint films are dyed, metallic and ceramic.
Dyed seems to be the old school film but yields almost no benefit to heat reduction.
Metallic shows some heat reduction in the cabin but the metallic film may interfere with electronics.
Ceramic seems to actually reduce heat. And keep the cabin cooler longer and faster when turning on the AC.

But holy cow does the ceramic film charge a premium fee.

I was quoted $150 for the etire Avalon with dyed film.
$250 for metallic film.
$400-$500 for ceramic film.

I understand the cabin will get hot over time no matter what film you use. But it sounds like the ceramic film keeps the surfaces in the car cooler longer and will continue to keep the interior cooler fast.

We are planning to keep this car in the long run.
Looks are not important. We will be going with 50% ( per state laws )

I guess a couple hundred dollars for going with the ceramic in the long run isn't that big of a deal. But am I better off keeping that extra $$$ in the pocket and putting it towards something else.?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
But am I better off keeping that extra $$$ in the pocket and putting it towards something else.?
Depends on where you live and how intense the sun is. That can depend on latitude, altitude, and weather conditions (the sun is very intense in places like Colorado which is high altitude and also very dry in most places).

Also depends on how often you park your vehicle outdoors in the sun during the day.

If you check manufacturer websites, you can usually find the specs on the percentage of "solar heat rejection" for the various films that may help you decide.

I have Formula One Pinnacle 50 and don't ever regret getting it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
At my job i am there tinter. We use 3m films. If you want uv and heat rejection look into crystalline tint. We do alot of windshields in it and it cuts down alot in cabin. Also sunroofs is a big one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts