Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I recently installed a longblock 22r in my 1986 4wd (stick). New clutch kit, flywheel wasn't resurfaced but looked good (I know, lame, should have gotten new or resurfaced but was going to put the project out too long).

Runs great sounds good when in neutral. First trough 3rd sound like a loud transmission "chaddle".

Is this:

A) Transmission failing?
B) Clutch slipping from poor flywheel mating or clutch mis-adjustment?
c) Something else??

Thanks for all your help!

Leonard

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I think you mean "chatter".
If the noise wasn't there before the clutch job, a problem with the clutch install would be the likely culprit. Could be the flywheel, grease contamination, mis-alignment, etc. It could possibly disappear after a little "break-in" time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, yes the break-in time did take place for the clutch and some noise has resided; however, there is still some bearing noise coming from seems to be the transmission. So next question is, how hard is it to replace the bearings in a transmission? Is this not a DIY project or is it worth just having the tranny rebuilt? HMMMM.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Tearing down a trans is not for a beginner by any means. It takes a lot of training and experience and tools to build one. If you decide on a rebuilt one, check out Marlin Crawler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts