Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mighty Flying Family Sedn
Camry
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 55k miles on my car and was thinking if i should replace my fuel filter. went to my local Pep boys but they didn't have any in stock.. maybe dealer only?

is it hard to replace? anyone know what else i need to do around the 50k maintainance? plugs? i flushed my coolant and tranny fluid both around 40k miles.

Thx fer the help!

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
i've got 55K miles too. i haven't even flushed my coolant yet but more like a drain and fill. i've got to do that for the 60K one though. I'll do that, PCV valve, power steering flush, brake fluid flush, and fuel filter.

·
Iron Chef IV
730 Posts
Toyota fuel filters are lifetime filters and only need to be replaced if there is a problem. If you look at any recommended service, it never mentions the filter.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
are they? i thought they were supposed to be changed at 60K. i saw someone posted it once. i forget.

·
Iron Chef IV
730 Posts
The dealer might say in their reccommended service, but if you look in your owners book, it never says. I have the orginal one in a Toyota with 800K, 523K, 273K and 102K miles with no problem.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
drunken_panda said:
The dealer might say in their reccommended service, but if you look in your owners book, it never says. I have the orginal one in a Toyota with 800K, 523K, 273K and 102K miles with no problem.

What he says is true. The filter is considered a lifetime filter by Toyota. the delaer will probably recommend replacing it at 30k mile intervals. That is what we recommended when I was working in Toyota service anyway. HTis was severeal eyars ago so it may have changed now.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
PCV valve, power steering flush, brake fluid flush, Coolant flush for 60K eh?

·
2,694 Posts
You shouldn't need to replace it unless you've got a problem with yours. They're right, Toyota fuel filters are considered to be lifetime items but sometimes it is to your benifit to replace it.

If you switch from ethanol blended fuels to non-blended you might experience filter clogging after a bit of time but it would take a while to be noticable.

P.S. 02+ Camry's have Fuel filters in the tank so you'll have to drop the tank to replace them. They are now considered non-service items. (No need to replace)

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
HATEnFATE said:
If you switch from ethanol blended fuels to non-blended you might experience filter clogging after a bit of time but it would take a while to be noticable.
HATEn,

CMIIW, but I'd expect the opposite problem, i.e., fuel filters clogging if you go from non-ethanol blended fuels to ethanol blended fuels. Reason being that the ethanol will mix with watery gunk sitting on the bottom of the tank, lift it off the bottom, and send it on downsteam, through the filter.

I had this happen to me years ago, driving from TX to MN thru IA.

·
TN's ExercisePhysiologist
96 S/CToyotaAvalonXL
851 Posts
WOW, you guys already got 55k miles alraedy? I'm only at 70k w/my 96 avalon. I havent change the fuel filter yet though,...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Change it! I just changed mine and the difference is astounding! Although I've never changed mine in the 5 years that I have owned my car I will probably change it every 30-40K or annually.

·
2,694 Posts
I'll reiterate my original post.

HATEnFATE said:
P.S. 02+ Camry's have Fuel filters in the tank so you'll have to drop the tank to replace them. They are now considered non-service items. (No need to replace)

Digger.......I just worded that poorly about the fuel blends. Switching back and forth on an inconsistant bassis between blended fuels can clog filters is what I should have said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts