Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, the default setting for the oil maintenance reminder is at 5,000 miles. I want to change it to 6,000. Is there a way to do that? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TrailDust, but that appears to show you how to reset the reminder, and NOT change the mileage indicator. I'm looking to change the indicator from 5,000 to 6,000 and I don't believe the links you sent showed that.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
:headbang: Gotcha! I don't as that can be changed, but I suppose the possibility exists that that could be one of the customizable features that dealers can change. Check out the Customizable Electronic Features link in the More Maintenance Issues section of the same sticky. If it can be done that way it should state it in there.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
I've never heard of anyone changing it to a higher value, but I have heard that each dash represents 1K miles and if you let go of the button with the applicable number of dashes, then you can lower it. Going higher? This I'd like to know. We once had a Sienna and it had a 7,500 mile oil change interval (from Toyota), but it too had the reminder come on at 5K miles. So if it were possible, you'd think Toyota would have outlined it for the Sienna.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's up Moose! Thanks for the info. I put full synthetic oil in my car, and I don't want to change it every 5k....I'm gonna call the dealership and see if I can talk to someone on the service side and get an answer (might void the warranty?). I'll keep you guys updated. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.

P.S. I went into the Customizable section but it didn't exist there either.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Then I'm very doubtful it can be done. If it can, I'll make sure to add the info to the sticky.

·
4,180 Posts
The benefit of using synthetic is a longer oil change interval. If I was in your boat and was insistent on using synthetic I would purchase Mobil 1 Extended Protection 15k with a Mobil 1 filter and change it every 10k. You could keep a log and every 5k reset the light so it won't come on until 10k,20k,30k,etc.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Longer oil change interval(OCI) isn't automatic by using synthetic. Driving style determines OCI.

Just reset the indicator and remember the mileage for your oil change. Indicator lights are for foolish consumers who can't remember to do anything right. Darwin prevention at its best!

I wouldn't go more than 5k without a used oil analysis to determine an acceptable interval for you and the oil you use. A UOA w/TBN is more accurate than marketing bs on the bottle labels of ANY oil you choose to use.

Don't blindly extend the interval. And, if extending interval, exercise the dipstick and top off as needed.

·
Registered
462 Posts
well Ive been changing my oil in all my vehicles since 1991 at around the 10k mark, and some even longer, and have never suffered any mechanical failure of any engine. I have always used Amsoil synthetics. The 3k change is bogus on todays vehicles, and the only reason Toyota recommends, not mandatory, is because they dont want another engine fiasco, as they had several years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts